No chickens but 3 ducks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Pinkston, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Pinkston

Pinkston New Egg

Aug 10, 2014
    Texas
    Hello everyone my name is Amanda. I am new here and just looking for a little duck help. My stepmother gave us 3 ducks a few months ago. We have never owned ducks before but she could no longer care for them and since we raise chickens, pigs, and have in the past raised various other farm animals she figured we could handle it. No problem we set them up in a nice pin with some kiddie pools and sleep/laying areas(one is a proven layer) so long story short we have a crested, a cayunga and a common domesticated(shes the layer) the large egg is hers the other two I found today the smallest one in the water im not sure who is laying the smaller eggs as the crested and cayuga are still young any help or thoughts?[​IMG] they are next to 3 regular chicken eggs. All eggs are hard shelled and the tiny one has a slighty different texture and a light gray tint(which leads me to believe it belongs to the cayuga) we live in southeast Texas and it is quite hot right now if that makes a difference
    TIA for help

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I don't know anything about ducks other than how cute they are!

You might want to post this question in our Ducks section for help from all those duck experts...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Enjoy this new duck adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

3. Pinkston

Pinkston New Egg

Aug 10, 2014
    Texas
    I posted in the ducks section as well now wasn't sure if I could post the same thing in two places anywho...thanks for the warm welcome

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! TwoCrows gave you the link to the Duck forum, good luck with your new flock!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sorry don't know anything about ducks but, know I want to welcome you to BYC

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Pinkston

Pinkston New Egg

Aug 10, 2014
    Texas
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcome I posted in the duck forum no response yet but im hoping someone will know about the eggs :)

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know a lot about ducks (although I've had a few), but I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. Hopefully the members who frequent our duck section will get back to you soon. Please feel free to ask any more questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your ducks and your hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by