No chickens for 40 years, now 10

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Elaine Wright, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Elaine Wright

Elaine Wright Chillin' With My Peeps

3 golden sexlink, 3 coco marans, 3 houdan, 1 gold laced wyandotte. 2 roosters, 8 hens.

2. bonniefuller

bonniefuller New Egg

Aug 14, 2015
    Tickfaw, La
    Sounds like a nice flock.

3. Elaine Wright

They are. They are all young, but have very distinct personalities. Especially the roosters.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined the Backyard chickens flock. [​IMG]

5. bonniefuller

bonniefuller New Egg

Aug 14, 2015
    Tickfaw, La
    I grew up at my parents with chickens and I was lucky enough to find a wonderful man who loves to have new adventures like I. He knew I loved and always wanted my own chickens so we built our own hen house and chicken pen. My mom wanted to buy me my first chickens and could not have chosen a better batch of bantams. The rooster on my shoulder is the best. "Rojo". Never in all my years with chickens did I meet one like him. He is the best. So lovable. Some of he hens are as well but as you see he loves to be with me and on my arm or shoulder or me holding him and petting him. I have those 5 bantams and we have also purchased a cucu Moran ( we had 2 but one was murdered by a wild animal. It was devastating. We also purchased some babiy bantams we fell in love with at the local feed store and ended up with 3 feather foot Cochin bantams and 3 polish. I also have 3 Americans and one old game hen and one red, silver laces Wyandotte which we bought from a local breeder. I saved the wyandottes life from 3 huge red legern roosters. We love them all and they know it. :)

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have a nice mix of breeds. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is loads of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

7. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's nice to have you here, thanks for joining us!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. bonniefuller

bonniefuller New Egg

Aug 14, 2015
    Tickfaw, La
    They're beautiful. Especially the polish.

10. Elaine Wright

I'm not sure if I should post this here, but here goes anyway. Another Houdan had a bad cross beak. Now we have 13 chickens, 2 of which are Houdan hens. One has gotten her head feathers all muddy. I tried sponging them. It did do anything but make her wet. Any ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by