no chickens yet

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kkleister, Aug 21, 2019.

1. kkleister

kkleister In the Brooder

Aug 21, 2019
    i grew up on a farm in illinois. now i live in arizona and have 2 cats who are indoor/outdoor with their own cat doors of course. We never had an issue with cats and chickens on our farm or dogs either. (although our horse used to chase the chickens and pull out their tail feathers!! But then he let the hens and chickens walk on his back to keep their feet warm in early spring late winter months!!)

My backyard is big enough for a coop but I'd feel obligated to let the chickens roam in the daytime. A 4 foot concrete block fence isn't going to keep them from going if they want to---but our chickens stayed home because we fed them. My cats are big and aggressive (but sweet:). I wonder if there's any point to me considering raising laying hens under these circumstances???? I am good about working with animals to train them--my cats walk with me around the neighborhood which amazes my neighbors--but will I lose chickens trying to find the balance?

Thanks for your insights

kathy

Leahs Coop, N F C, Meg-in-MT and 11 others like this.
  2. Icantraisechickenshelp

Icantraisechickenshelp Chirping

Apr 14, 2019
    New York City
    It's a bit unusual but seems fine to me. To strengthen it, you should extend the fence higher and keep the cats away from the chickens!

3. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie Gallus gallus domesticus

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    balloons.gif FARMER-CONNIE-GROW-RING-.02.gif balloons.gif

Leahs Coop, N F C, Meg-in-MT and 8 others like this.
  4. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Free Ranging

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC!

Leahs Coop, N F C, Meg-in-MT and 8 others like this.
  5. Claires Poultry

Claires Poultry Free Ranging

Mar 24, 2019
    Beach, ND
    Hello Kathy and welcome to BYC! :welcome
    We're so glad to have you here with us! :ya
    Thank you for joining our wonderful community of fellow poultry enthusiasts! :)
    :wee

Leahs Coop, N F C, Meg-in-MT and 7 others like this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens Kathy, it's very nice to meet you. :yesss:

7. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Leahs Coop, starri33, N F C and 9 others like this.
  8. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi Kathy and welcome to BYC.

9. Sequel

Sequel Crowing

:frow Hi and welcome! Where there's a will there's a way! That's what my momma said and you'll have chickens before long! You joined a massive community of enablers for sure!

10. gtaus

gtaus Crowing

Mar 29, 2019
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Welcome to the BYC forum :welcome

I don't understand why you would feel obligated to let the chickens roam in the daytime. Lots of us have our chickens confined to a chicken run for their safety. If you have the time to watch them, maybe let your chickens out to free range under your supervision so you can keep an eye on your cats and see how they are around the birds. I think you would be able to enjoy your birds with a nice coop and run, and if things work out with your cats, maybe let the chickens free range in the backyard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: