no chickens yet

kkleister

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2019
i grew up on a farm in illinois. now i live in arizona and have 2 cats who are indoor/outdoor with their own cat doors of course. We never had an issue with cats and chickens on our farm or dogs either. (although our horse used to chase the chickens and pull out their tail feathers!! But then he let the hens and chickens walk on his back to keep their feet warm in early spring late winter months!!)

My backyard is big enough for a coop but I'd feel obligated to let the chickens roam in the daytime. A 4 foot concrete block fence isn't going to keep them from going if they want to---but our chickens stayed home because we fed them. My cats are big and aggressive (but sweet:). I wonder if there's any point to me considering raising laying hens under these circumstances???? I am good about working with animals to train them--my cats walk with me around the neighborhood which amazes my neighbors--but will I lose chickens trying to find the balance?

Thanks for your insights

kathy

My backyard is big enough for a coop but I'd feel obligated to let the chickens roam in the daytime

Welcome to the BYC forum :welcome

I don't understand why you would feel obligated to let the chickens roam in the daytime. Lots of us have our chickens confined to a chicken run for their safety. If you have the time to watch them, maybe let your chickens out to free range under your supervision so you can keep an eye on your cats and see how they are around the birds. I think you would be able to enjoy your birds with a nice coop and run, and if things work out with your cats, maybe let the chickens free range in the backyard.

i grew up on a farm in illinois. now i live in arizona and have 2 cats who are indoor/outdoor with their own cat doors of course. We never had an issue with cats and chickens on our farm or dogs either. (although our horse used to chase the chickens and pull out their tail feathers!! But then he let the hens and chickens walk on his back to keep their feet warm in early spring late winter months!!)

My backyard is big enough for a coop but I'd feel obligated to let the chickens roam in the daytime. A 4 foot concrete block fence isn't going to keep them from going if they want to---but our chickens stayed home because we fed them. My cats are big and aggressive (but sweet:). I wonder if there's any point to me considering raising laying hens under these circumstances???? I am good about working with animals to train them--my cats walk with me around the neighborhood which amazes my neighbors--but will I lose chickens trying to find the balance?

Thanks for your insights

kathy

It's a bit unusual but seems fine to me. To strengthen it, you should extend the fence higher and keep the cats away from the chickens!

balloons.gif FARMER-CONNIE-GROW-RING-.02.gif balloons.gif

Back
Top Bottom