No chickens :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kate24, Nov 29, 2010.

1. kate24

kate24 New Egg

Nov 25, 2010
    My hen has been sitting on eggs for 26 days now. The chicks are fully developed but never hatched, why??

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Maybe try and candle them? Momma hen ain't gonna be happy, but they're just going to rot under her if you don't find out. Somtimes they'll hatch extremely late.

3. kate24

kate24 New Egg

Nov 25, 2010
    What will candling do?

4. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    You can candle them and make sure they're still alive. Are you sure if they are alive or dead?

5. kate24

kate24 New Egg

Nov 25, 2010
    Ok so how would I tell if they are alive when I candle them?

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We still have feed stores here with chicks. Buy some to exchange for the eggs and slip them under her at night....

It's worth a shot... then watch her closely the morning after.

7. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    normally you'll see movement. But somtimes it's hard to tell when they're fully developed cause the egg is normally almost completely black. If theres no air sac you'll know ones tried to hatch but didn't, and I have seen this in my own eggs before. If they are dead, it's possible that the inside of the egg will look like somone shook the egg, and made the yolk look like jello. but candling is no for sure way to tell. I'd say keep the eggs for a couple more days, and if nothing happens, throw them out. [​IMG]

8. kate24

kate24 New Egg

Nov 25, 2010
    Thanks Becca. I cant think of any reason why they would not have hatched, very frustrating! I will wait a few more days.

9. BeccaB00

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    your very welcome, and I know how frusterating it can be, I had a hen once that was the best hen we had at hatching eggs and mothering chicks, but the last couple times shes tried to hatch eggs every single one of them died. And for a reason that we never found out. I'm very sorry that no chicks hatched, but hopfully they'll hatch over the next few days, and if not, then better luck next time! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by