1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No chickies? :'( I hope it all goes well!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Claire_Bear, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Claire_Bear

Claire_Bear Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2007
    Garrison
    Does anybody know were i can find out if it is illegal to own chickens?

2. MoonGoddess

MoonGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Philly, PA
    The information is often hard to find. I have yet to find a website that provides accurate, up-to-date information on chicken owning across the US. Here and there you'll get a tidbit of info...but that's about it.

Truth be told, unless someone here knows a secret, you'll have to either mosey yourself down to your local city hall and ask someone there, or perhaps give someone there a buzz.

Just give 411 a call and ask for the City Hall number.

That is...if your trying to be legal about it. LOL.
    Most of us are criminals. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  3. Redneckchick

Redneckchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    Coldwater , Ms
    City hall or if the town is large enough, you may try the code enforcement office. Just my thoughts..

4. GoPups

GoPups Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    I called animal services just to double check.

5. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Hey, this gives me an idea. We should all get together and put up a page that lists the legalities of chicken ownership in each state! There's enough of us here from all over the place! We could get it done in no time, and save future peep owners the headache of tryin to find out! [​IMG]

6. Claire_Bear

Claire_Bear Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2007
    Garrison
    Oh, what a great idea! [​IMG]

7. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Most laws vary not just from state to state, but from town to town, and even in what part of your town you live in. Call your town clerk - they know everything!

8. MoonGoddess

Apr 8, 2007
    Philly, PA
    Just found out the exact laws here...*sigh*

This was on the animal control's website:
    http://phillypaws.org/animal_control_field_services.cfm

Farm/Illegal Animal Violations - Including Chickens or Roosters
    It is illegal to possess farm animals in the City of Philadelphia. Farm animals include chickens, geese, ducks, turkeys, goats, sheep, pigs, cows, or other farm animals. Horses are not considered farm animals under this ordinance. Other animals that are illegal to own include alligators, caiman and venomous reptiles and snakes. Exceptions to this ordinance include keeping animals to be slaughtered within 24 hours, animals brought in by a slaughterhouse or commercial retailer of live animals sold to be killed for use as food or animals at a circus or other licensed entertainment venue. You can report illegal animals online. An officer will investigate your report and a ticket will be issued if a violation is found at the time of the visit. If no violation is observed, a warning will be issued. Our officers do not have the authority to remove illegal animals except at the direction of the police department, at the direction of a judge or at the direction of the Department of Health in the event of a health emergency.

9. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Moon goddess, what are you going to do about your chicks?

10. MoonGoddess

Apr 8, 2007
    Philly, PA
    Keep them. [​IMG]

I'm living illegally anyhow with my little piggers. My neighbors are all pretty amazing people. NONE have any issues with me OR my little farm. For the most part my yard is a very private fenced yard, closed in by 6 ft full slat wood fencing. Though admittedly my pig escaped into my next door neighbors yard once. She was hysterical the whole time...I thought she may die from laughing so hard. Apparently the image of me, my husband and our four kids chasing an extremely elusive piglet amused her immensely.

I think a lot has to do with your neighbors and whether or not they are going to be tolerant or not.

Some neighbors are just ridiculous busy-bodies. I had a neighbor once when I lived in NC who complained if my LAWN got too long...and no I'm not talking about field style long...I mean 3 inches. SHE probably would have turned me in if I had TULIPS the wrong color.

As of right now however, I just try and stay off the radars by keeping to myself and not attracting attention in any other way and keeping my neighbors on my good side. Personally the whole thing is rather aggravating to me. I OWN this property...I should be able to breed LLAMAS if I want to. Blah.

We are thinking of moving fairly soon anyhow... to a more rural area in AZ.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by