No chicks for me...yet

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kristim23, Jan 17, 2011.

1. kristim23

kristim23 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2010
    Well, I am posting this to half vent, half whine... I apologize in advance. [​IMG]

After two years of hinting, DH finally decided to hop on the chicken-mobile. I drew up my shed renovation plans, planned and replanned my flock, picked out feeding, watering, etc. stuff, and my day-old ship date. Then DH got laid off. Thankfully, it wasn't for long, but long enough to put a damper on things. So we had a sit-down: either order the chicks, or pour the patio, and build the deck. Since we have two small ones under 3, and a second story door (with many locks) to nowhere, we had to go with the latter. On the bright side, this way is much safer, and the last detail to complete the major re-build of our house (WOO-HOO!).

But I was really looking forward to eggs this summer. [​IMG]

Another "but": In the honor and respect of chicken math, I am charging chicken intrest. Formerly, we were getting 15, next spring it will be 20. And the coop will be very pretty. I'm talking shutters and flower boxes!! And I don't even care if they eat the flowers!

So now, I will commit myself to live vicariously through all you chicken-havers, and count the days til next spring! Because I'm telling you, I WILL HAVE CHICKS NEXT YEAR! I am saying this with my very best stern Mom voice.

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It's always disappointing when we have to put off a project we really want but at least this way you will get more chickens!

3. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Well, it's nice that you'll have your deck done.

But waiting a year to get chickens would be agony to me...so I wouldn't [​IMG]...I'd hunt down some materials to recycle, or use scrap from building the deck [​IMG], and make a little A-frame tractor/coop or hoop coop for under $30-$40 and have a few chickens. [​IMG]

4. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    I feel your pain. I was hoping to get a bigger coop and fuzzy butts this spring, but we lost a lawsuit. We'll be paying off lawyers instead. I'm hoping maybe I can swing another small coop.

Quote:

5. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I so want to order more baby chickies.....but with THE situation right now it is not gonna happen. The best I can do is save a little bit of money here and there and get me an incubator and hatch from what I have right now.

Keep on draming of them and save all the $ you can and you can make it happen.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  6. kristim23

Oct 8, 2010
    Thanks for the responses, guys... I know that it is better this way, in the long run. Still bummed out about the wait, though. I was thinking about just throwing something together, but I really want to get it done the way I want it, so I don't have to disrupt the flock to "remodel" later.

On the bright side, this gives me more planning time. I'm going to get an incubator this winter, and along with my hatchery chicks, I'd like to hatch some REAL Ameraucana eggs, and the other day I fell in LOVE with lemon-blue cochins! So, thats my plan. (for now!)

The saving begins!

7. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I have heard of chicken math but never chicken interest! What is the rate? 1 chick for every 5 ordered? I smell loan shark!! [​IMG]

8. kristim23

Oct 8, 2010
    Well, catdaddy, I have to do what's necessary!! I figured I would just up it to twenty! Here at the First Chicken Bank, we will acquire what we can!

I just told DH that he's lucky, my coop could easily house 32 birds!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by