No chicks hatched in 2 incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Babecknmama, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Babecknmama

Babecknmama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2010
    Beaumont, Texas
    I apparently have big problems in my incubators None of my eggs are hatching.[​IMG]
    . In my Brinsea I have lavender silkie eggs and in new Hova Bator are lavender ameraucana eggs I bought. Almost all of them started developing fine, but then some of the silkie embryos died around day 9 or 10 of development or on day 18 or just before pip. . Several I helped hatch--one lived for a week but had leg problems. Not one of my lavender silkies has llived. The ameraucana eggs started developing fine but about 5 days ago I noticed the air pocket in some of them was way too large for the develpment stage. In some there was movement. Today is hatch day, and no movement in any of them and in some the air space is in the small end. This is so heartbreaking. I have been hatching eggs for years and have never had this kind of loss. Have tried to keep the humidity between 50-60 percent and the temp on both as close to 99.5 as I can get them. Does anyone have any suggestions. The lavender are from my own flock and I give them grain, greens to eat -- put vitamins and probiotics, ACV in their water.

2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Any power outages? any diseases in the flock? It sounds like incubation issues but you have experience so my guess is nutritional or maybe disease. A lot of undiagnosed respiratory diseases can cause embyro death and also just thought of this but lethal genes can cause death at certain days of incubation. What a bummer.

3. Babecknmama

Mar 24, 2010
    Beaumont, Texas
    No power outages, and I mist the cages of my silkies daily with Oxine hoping to ward off any respiratory problems. I put Sulmet monthly in drinking water, clean out their pens about every 3 days. I have tried to think of everything. Obviously I am not doing something right. My hens go up in cages at night but their pens are open air 3 sided buildings with wire enclosure. I let them out once a day to eat grass and scratch They are not housed in a barn.
    After my last eggs come to the end of 21 days, and probably not have any babies, I am going to disinfect the incubators with Brinsea disinfectant. Should I unscrew the lid of the Brinsea and disinfect there also?. I do not dip my eggs in any type of disinfectant solution--but I think I will begin to do that also. Thanks for your input

4. psycoforsilkies

psycoforsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    Lavanders can sometimes be hard to hatch, Are you eggs from Hens or younger pullets, incubating pullet eggs can also cause some issues weak babys, etc. or eggs that don't develop all the way. I have been there. I also started out incubating at a higher humidity like you 50-60% big mistake. I know incubate to day 18 around 40%, then 50% to high and the chicks were drowning but that is what works for me

5. Babecknmama

Mar 24, 2010
    Beaumont, Texas
    I only have 3 lavenders and they are all maybe a year old. Did not know about the age factor. Yes lavenders are very hard. I have been trying for 2 years now to get my lavender project going and have had no luck. These lavenders are from my lavender roo and lav split hens. Thought they might be stronger coming from a bigger gene pool.
    So I am to incubate around 40 % until day 18, then up humidity to 50%-60%? I will try anything. Do you dip your eggs in solution to decontaminate?
    I use a scrubbie on mine, but am now wondering if I contaminted both incubators doing that since all these eggs were together at one time.

6. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    That 50/60 is high to me too.Have you checked Hydrometer cal. IF your in Beaumont its a lot like here and Humidity due to gulf and these fronts and all this rain is high one day low the next...cva34

7. Babecknmama

Mar 24, 2010
    Beaumont, Texas
    Oh my goodness--never thought of that!! Our humidity runs 60-80 percent here and sometimes 100%. We are so used to it here never thought to factor it into my hatches. We have been having tremendous rainfalls the last couple of weeks.

8. Babecknmama

Mar 24, 2010
    Beaumont, Texas
    Anyone have any info about dry incubation in a humid climate??? Maybe for me that is the way I should incubate at this time. Thanks

9. angusb

angusb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2009
    You have to realize that percent humidity is relative to the temperature. Hot air can hold more water than cold air, and humidity is expressed as the percentage of water vapor present in relation to the maximum amount of water the air could hold AT THAT TEMPERATURE. If your area of the country is experiencing 85 degree weather with 80% humidity, and the temperature in your incubator is 100 degrees, the equivalent relative humidity inside the incubator (if it had the same amount of water vapor as the outside air) would only be around 47%. 100% humidity at 37 degrees is only 20% humidity at 86 degrees: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/imgkin/rh3.gif For this reason, it's impossible to exactly correlate the atmospheric humidity in your area with the humidity inside your incubator.

Here's a relative humidity calculator that you can play with. Click the middle button (% RH) to see how the relative humidity goes up and down in inverse proportion to the temperature: http://www.dpcalc.org/

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  10. psycoforsilkies

psycoforsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    Donot scrub your eggs, if they have dirt on them just try to lightly brush off, I do not dip but am going to start dipping in oxine. In my experience what has worked for me is not over 40% until day 18, then about 50% for hatch. My own lavender project has been on hold for about 2 months, I sadly lost my Black/lav roo. but I do have 2 lav babies growing up right now. I am on the hunt for another Lav roo or blk/lav. So I can get it back on the road. Right now I have a black roo in there for split babies. Also another big factor I have found for me is making sure you keep bator in a room that is pretty steady for temp, not in garage etc.. When the temp changes alot it has to work harder. I keep a spray bottle beside bator, in case i need to open it then you spray some before you close to help for the humidity lost. What kind of bator are you using a still air or forced air?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by