No chicks hatched under button quail broody yet? *BABY PICS**

Discussion in 'Quail' started by theron, Dec 19, 2010.

1. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    I have 10 eggs under a button quail broody that were now sat on for 19 days and not one has hatched yet. The other day I took one out to candle or do the float wiggle test and I accidently dropped it. There was a live baby in there and was fully formed.
    Why haven't the eggs hatched yet?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You can get early hatches or late hatches depending on the temperature mom is getting underneath her. Give her another day or so.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:I AGREE AND THEN HUMIDITY IS ALWAYS A FACTOR TOO... IF SHE'S STICKIN' WITH THE EGGS AND HASNT STARTED ROLLING ANY OUT LET HER DO HER JOB. SHE'S MUCH BETTER AT IT THAN WE ARE [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Button quail seem to take longer to hatch under a hen, just give them time [​IMG]

5. theron

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    there are still no babies. [​IMG]

6. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    just have patience [​IMG]

Look at it this way...
    If she hatches the babies it is a nice surprise bonus for the holidays, if not oh well there is always next time and you have a broody quail! [​IMG]

It may take a few extra DAYS to hatch so sit back relax and enjoy the ride [​IMG]

7. theron

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    aren't button quail supposed to hatch after 16 days? They are on their 20th day right now. [​IMG] I'm just getting antsy because I have never had a broody quail before. I have had broody chickens and ducks, but never quail and I never got so nervous with my other broody birds. Is it normal for her to get off every hour or two?
    And I got three pairs of quail on november 27 and she went broody on the 1st.

8. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    I'm not sure whats normal for a broody quail I've not had one yet!
    maybe you can take 1 or 2 and float test them?

they hatch at 17-19 days normally but then I'd just let the broody go til she goes... but thats me.

9. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    How can it be 20 days if she's sitting on 10 eggs and you got her the 27th. Sounds like she didn't really start sitting until the 6th or 7th. When did she lay the first egg and count from there. Then when she layed her last egg, count from the last egg when she stopped laying. Then go forward 16 days. Doesn't sound like they are due yet.

I may not know about Buttons, but birds lay until they sit, then they stop laying. Little Buttons do the same don't they? In the mean time, they are just keeping them a little warm and adjusting their temperature and turning them. That's what all that moving around and settling is, turning the eggs with their feet.

10. theron

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    well here Ill explain it a little bit better. I never used her eggs. I had a pair of button quail before I got the three pairs. I had them all in the same cage, before I knew that they had to be housed by pairs. So the eggs come from the three other hens and she is sitting on them. I hope that clears it up. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by