No chicks yet... Cracked over half of them, Dead Chicks..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by texascowboy1979, Sep 4, 2009.

1. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok.. Yesterday was the day for hatching... and nothing... so I took half of the eggs and cracked them out side to see whats up... I know it was a risk... but Im glad I did... the eggs I cracked each had DEAD chicks... they were over half way developed...

What can cause them to die half way threw incubation?

2. cattbird

cattbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Essex Uk
    Did you maintain a stable temperature through-out? or have any spikes or dips?

3. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Depending on the breed, it's possible you have a lethal gene. Google "lethal gene fill in your breed" and see what you find. There are some lethals that cause death at specific times during development. That sounds like what may be happening.

If these are not a purebred, but a barnyard mix, I'd suspect a problem with the incubating, i.e., temp and/or humidity, or a contaminant of some kind.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Even with lethal genes only about 1/4th should be affected. The odds are very unlikely you'd kill a whole hatch that way. I would guess incubator problems if they all died at the same stage of development. Perhaps you had a power outage you didn't know of over night or the incubator spiked in temp one afternoon while you were gone.

5. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    That's true, I hadn't considered the percentage. I just focused on "all at this stage". I'm a little spacy today, I'm getting over an illness. My brain's still in a fog.

6. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Im aware of the leathle gene, but the eggs in question dont carry the leathl gene... I did go without power for about 8 hours while I was at work one day... could that have done it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by