No clever tittle this time, please just read!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cluckcluckluke, Feb 24, 2013.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Found out my broody hen and her eggs where covered in what i think are mites, they are a very dark reddy Brown, more brown.

Are they Northern Mites. Or the dreaded Red Mites? they are on the broody and when you pick her up they run onto you. They are fairly fast ( bit slower than an ant ) but don't fly or jump form what I can see.

I want to know how to treat this as well?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  2. Tanith BHH

Tanith BHH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2012
    Go to your local store, they are likely to have some mite treatment, usually in the form of a powder. sprinkle it inside the coop, nest boxes and all your chickens and keep up the treatment daily or as recomended. You may need to completely remove the broody and her eggs and thoroughly wash, disinfect and mite the cooop/nestboxes. From now on, I would give all you chickens a good de-miting every couple of weeks, even after there are no more mites, lice, etc. If the mites are only on the bird then its most likely not to be red mite, as they hide in the gaps in your coop until its dark, before coming out to attack your birds. Most treatments however kill all mites.
    Good luck and hope this helps.

3. cluckcluckluke

O.K so it's a big job. I have 25 chickens and it take a while to dust them all[​IMG]. Thanks for the help, i will get onto it pronto!

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I dust mine and spray the coop.

This is what I use:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    And DE will not work!

6. cluckcluckluke

I'm in Australia, i have non off these. I ain't a newbie on dusting, i have dusted my chickens for lice before so I know what my store has.
    It's called Pestene ( probably haven't heard of it before ).

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The red mite is usually seen at night if you go in the coop with a flashlight. It hides in the cracks of the coop during the day. (This is from what I have read.)

The northern fowl mite lives on the bird and crawls pretty quickly (runs!) and crawls onto you very fast, for example, when gathering eggs. I would guess it is the NFM you are dealing with. Lice are lighter in color supposedly (I haven't dealt with lice, only mites).

Don't forget to retreat every 7 days until the infestation is gone. And spray your coop (or dust it) too, because even though they live on the bird, if I so much as don't get rid of all the nestbox shavings too, they come right back and I am in tears over it. All that work wasted and I have to redust everyone.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by