No clue about coops and runs

Jlaw and 2

Hatching
May 21, 2018
Hey all. New here and new to being a duck mama. Currently these little guys, as in 6-7 weeks old are hanging out in my garage in a brooder, and free range during the day. My question is...when I get them a coop eventually, will I lock them in the coop at night or the entire enclosure with the run? I’m so confused. I have heard so many horrible stories about awful predators and want them to be as safe as possible.
Thanks!

Hey all. New here and new to being a duck mama. Currently these little guys, as in 6-7 weeks old are hanging out in my garage in a brooder, and free range during the day. My question is...when I get them a coop eventually, will I lock them in the coop at night or the entire enclosure with the run? I’m so confused. I have heard so many horrible stories about awful predators and want them to be as safe as possible.
Thanks!
Everyone does something different. If you are worried, than make both the shed and run very secure, or lock them in a very secure shed at night.

My coop and run is going to be one continuous predator proof structure. It doesn’t cost any more than a predator proof run and predator proof coop. It does cost more than a predator “resistant” run (in other words, if some of it was chicken wire or some such as opposed to 100% fine mesh material).

I really don’t want to be bothered opening and closing a coop door every day. Also the chickens daily routine would be messed with when I was out of town for 2-7 days.

I plan to free range whenever I can, but I am going to treat the chicken coop as if I could get called out of town for work for 72 hours at a moments notice and I would have to do nothing for the chickens as they would be in a predator proof enclosure with a constantly topped off/ replaced supply of 7 days food and water.

Back
Top Bottom