No clue what my ladies are

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Liltritter, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Liltritter

Liltritter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2013
    Apple Valley, Ca
    I bought silkies, and americanas and got this group. I've decided when buying from this feed store not to ask for any specific breed or sex.......... of 18 Chickens, at 99% hens, we got 5 roos LOL.... I'm back to raising chicks again as they give you replacements for roos......... i know I have 4 RIR other two are..... the topic of a future post :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

1 person likes this.
  3. Liltritter

Apr 7, 2013
    Apple Valley, Ca
    TYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTY :)

I love my ladies no matter what they are, but knowing is very cool. Some just started laying , no clue who, tiny (bout the sized of a half dollar tad smaller) brown eggs.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Nice flock! Beautiful birds.

1 person likes this.
  5. Liltritter

Apr 7, 2013
    Apple Valley, Ca
    [​IMG]

Best I could get of her? I hope :) The sultan is the only rooster we kept cause I thought she was a girl. She crowed at me while I was trying to get pictures...... make that 6/18 roosters LOL

My rooster replacements are below, don't suppose you can tell me what the light and dark ones mixed in with my reds are (if they are RIR ) or if they are girls or boys yet?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh and what are the chances that any of my ladies will be broody? Is there a good breed to have if I would like a broody lady?

6. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    I think your Polish is a pullet, as that comb isn't particularly red/prominent, but I could be wrong. Your Australorp and Easter Eggers might go broody at some point in their life, though those breeds aren't the most reliable. If you really want a broody hen, get a Silkie, an Old English Game hen, or another game bird hen. Those particular breeds seem to almost be programmed to hatch chicks, at least that I've heard. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The breeds that you appear to have (Australorps, Barred Rocks, Easter Eggers, Wyandottes, and Sultans) aren't the most broody of breeds. If any of them was to go broody, I'd guess that it would be the Wyandotte or the Australorp. If you really want a broody breed, get Silkies! They are extremely broody. Cochins are another breed that tend to go broody. Gamy breeds like Old English Game often go broody as well.

Hope I've helped!

1 person likes this.
  8. Liltritter

Apr 7, 2013
    Apple Valley, Ca
    One last question and I will stop driving you all nuts with questions :)

The white one with the lil black on the tail Delaware ..... I collected one egg this morning, and shes been digging through all the wood chips like shes looking for it....... Hours now........... Should I have left her the egg or maybe collected it towards ducks as to not upset her?

9. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    I don't think your hen is looking for the egg--chickens just naturally like scratching around in shavings, dirt, etc. Even if she was upset, she and the rest of your chickens will soon get used to you "stealing " their eggs. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Liltritter

Apr 7, 2013
    Apple Valley, Ca
    Thank you :) I was feeling guilty lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by