No combs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Skipcurt, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Skipcurt

Skipcurt Chirping

Jan 10, 2018
    Woodstock, GA
    Hi all, I have 5 hens that are roughly 12 wks old this week. I’ve been loosely planning on eggs in the next 6-8 weeks. One of the things I’ve read here about timing is that the combs will be bright/dark red but none of my birds really even have a comb yet. The breeds are 1 each of Barred Rock, Speckled Sussex, Welsummer, Gold Laced Wyandotte & an Easter Egger.
    Will the combs grow that drastically over the next few weeks or is something else going on?

Skip

2. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    You can’t rush Mother Nature skip so I hope baking a birthday cake isn’t in the planning.
    I can’t say for all your breeds but...
    :gigDon’t expect eggs from a Welsummer until 22-26 weeks. :oops:

Coop de Grass and KikiLeigh02 like this.
  3. imnukensc

imnukensc Songster

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    Same for the Barred Rock----about 22-26 weeks.

Coop de Grass and KikiLeigh02 like this.
  4. Skipcurt

Skipcurt Chirping

Jan 10, 2018
    Woodstock, GA
    I’m ok with waiting. This is my first go round with chickens and I’ve enjoyed it and been fun.
    I just want to be sure I’m doing all I can for them...and me.

New2chicluv likes this.
  5. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Try planning for eggs in more like twelve weeks. You haven't got any fast-maturing birds (i.e., Leghorns, ISAs, Production Reds...) Combs shouldn't start to turn bright red for about eight more weeks yet.

Good luck!

6. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Crowing

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Most of my hens of any breed have started by 20 weeks, some (RSL & EEs) have started at 18. Rarely had a chicken not start by 22 weeks.

7. auroaSfarm

auroaSfarm Songster

Apr 18, 2017
    New york
    My chickens didn't start laying till 25-30 weeks, I also had silkies though and mille fleur d'uccle bantams.

Coop de Grass likes this.
  8. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    I've never had an EE start at less than twenty-three weeks. Different strains, maybe?

9. Skipcurt

Skipcurt Chirping

Jan 10, 2018
    Woodstock, GA
    OK. Thanks for the responses. Guess I'll plan my sights on 20-24 wks. Not sure where I got my earlier information from but I'm glad I've been educated correctly now.

10. Coop de Grass

Coop de Grass Songster

:lau Waiting for that first egg is like waiting for that pot of water to boil!!! And even when 1 of your hens begins laying, you have to wait until each one has started. My first flock had Brahmas, Wyandottes, Buff Orpington, and Bielefelders. The bielefelders were the last to start laying at 24-26 weeks. I think the size of the breed has a lot to do with what age they start to lay.

Just sit back and enjoy the suspense!:pop

sylviethecochin and Cindy in PA like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: