No control over her bladder? What in the world?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BeccaB00, Jan 8, 2011.

1. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Goodness gracious. Another problem. But this time it's not a behavior

problem. My black lab, snow, 8 years old next month, she was laying on

our front porch and just started peeing everywhere...she was just laying

in it. like she didn't even know she peed..Any thoughts why? I'm sure it's an

easy answer...But I've basically turned ANY question I have to BYC.. we've been

letting her on the enclosed porch at night time, and somtimes through-out the

day, depending on what SHE wants to do, and we've been noticing her covers

are soking wet. Now we have the answer why. [​IMG] gahh I hate those times

when everything seems to go wrong. Please, tell me any thoughts about why she

has no control over her bladder. [​IMG]

thanks
    Becca

2. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    Spay incontinence. VERY common in b.itches her age. Go see your vet about putting her on Proin, which helps them tighten the muscles back up and control the incontinence.

3. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    thankyou! It's easily treatable? I was hoping it was cause shes my baby.

4. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    She should be checked, of course, in case it's something freaky, but spay incontinence is almost certainly going to be it. The voiding-while-sleeping is a cardinal sign. Most of the time the Proin (which is cheap) stops it for a good number of years; you do have to give it continually but it won't break the bank. Eventually in most cases the Proin will stop working when the dog hits REALLY elderly, when the weakness in the rear end is very pronounced and you're wondering whether it's "time" anyway. But until then, it's like a miracle drug.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    She needs to be checked. I had a rottie/chow this happened to and her bladder had burst. Nothing could be done to save her.

6. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:x2

That's about how old my dog was when she developed it.

She's been on Proin over 2 years now, no side effects and blood tests still come back good.

7. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Sometimes dogs with urinary infections can suddenly start losing control of thier bladder. Ours did and that's what it turned out to be. If it happened suddenly that is what I might suspect.

8. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    spay incontinence is treated with estrogen medication which keeps the bladder muscles toned up.
    other possibilities - terminal injuries, diabetes (not actually so uncommon).

9. LyonFuzz

LyonFuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    If it happened all of a sudden I would think a urinary tract infection. Get a specimen and have your vet run it. If that's clean, she probably is just getting a lazy urinary sphincter muscle with her old age and that can be treated with a cheap pill every day:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by