No coop yet, but....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CathlovesJim, Feb 17, 2015.

1. CathlovesJim

CathlovesJim Out Of The Brooder

Hi! I have been lurking and learning from so many wonderful people here on BYC! I live in Kitsap County in western Washington state. We live in an old cottage in an old neighborhood where at one time everyone had chickens.

My neighborhood and I believe the county in general has a horrible rat problem, made worse by the ivy which covers the ground in the woods. We are also swamped with raccoons and coyotes. I saw a mink a couple years ago, so they are here too, and probably the sneakiest threat I'll have to outsmart. Before I dare bring a chicken home I will need an electrified fortress, so I'm still trying to figure out the right layout for the run and the right design for a coop. In the meantime, thanks to reading the forums at BYC I can be accumulating hardware cloth!

I plan on placing the coop and run near my vegetable garden, not only could I use the fertilizer and the help with bugs and weeds, but most of all I would enjoy the company. [​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

3. CathlovesJim

CathlovesJim Out Of The Brooder

Thanks!!!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'd amend that a bit to say "covered run," and electrified fortress. The problem is, everything loves chicken, and not in a good way. Do you have any chicken friendly dogs that would protect them? Or a group of Jack Russell Terriers to handle the rat population at night when chickens are safely locked up.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined the BYC "flock".

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

It sounds like you're well on your way to securely raising some happy, healthy chickens! Good luck with all of your planning. [​IMG]

7. ApiaryandAviary

ApiaryandAviary Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    Hello and welcome, if you have any questions, dont be shy. We all learn something. And there is bound to be someone on this site that can help you. Again welcome to the chicken world.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your coop built.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by