kls

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2021
We’re raising our first 5 chicks right now! They’re almost 2 weeks old. We were going to build a coop/run while they were in the brooder for the first 5ish weeks, but it is looking like it is going to be pretty expensive with the price of lumbar right now.

Is it possible to just build a super secure, covered run that has roosts and nesting boxes (when the start laying)?

Idk if it helps at all, but we live in Louisiana where it doesn’t get super cold. We would most likely build a coop down the road, just spaced out over time to help with the cost of things.

We’re raising our first 5 chicks right now! They’re almost 2 weeks old. We were going to build a coop/run while they were in the brooder for the first 5ish weeks, but it is looking like it is going to be pretty expensive with the price of lumbar right now.

Is it possible to just build a super secure, covered run that has roosts and nesting boxes (when the start laying)?

Idk if it helps at all, but we live in Louisiana where it doesn’t get super cold. We would most likely build a coop down the road, just spaced out over time to help with the cost of things.
You could probably get away with a large run that is half covered. But the chickens will be much more protected from wind, rain, and other weather if they have a coop to sleep in. Five chickens isn’t too many and they really don’t need anything fancy. Making a box out of any old wood boards. or other materials you can find giving about 1.5-2 square feet per chicken, and keeping it short should work. You really only need a door for you to collect eggs and clean easily, it doesn’t have to be walk-in height. In the end a coop will save you more money than trying to fix up a run. Good luck!

Your chickens will be fine in a fairly open setup since you are warm (according to chickens) year round. You probably don’t even freeze there very often.

so, protect from wind, rain, blowing rain using walls (2-3 full or partial walls). Provide a full or partial roof. Your wood costs will likely be in side posts, and roof supporting structure. All other parts could be metal of wood costs too high. Provide a protected upper gap between the wall and roof, for ventilation, above their heads when roosting.

many in the warmer southern states use “open air” coops like this.

make sure ground drains, and water is diverted around the run or naturally flows away, etc.

Good luck

I hear you on the lumber prices! I needed another coop this spring and was SHOCKED that the cost of lumber had tripled. Allegedly, it's coming back down, so waiting on a building project makes financial sense.

A real coop is the ideal. However, integrating my eight new birds hasn't gone as well as planned. Five are living in the new, pricey coop, and currently, the three Cochins are living in an Urban Coop with an attached run. Although they are happy to fly onto the top of the run after they've been released for the day, they refuse to use the roost -- which is located in the protected portion of the coop.

BTW, knowing more now than when I bought the used Urban Coop, I think it is probably designed for a climate more like yours than mine. In my opinion, it doesn't offer enough protection in Iowa winters.

For now -- and only very temporarily -- they prefer spending their nights in a plastic tote, tipped on its side and laying inside the run, which keeps them dry when it rains. It will be replaced before winter with a small wooden structure inside the run. I hope they like my next effort.

I learned a long time ago that my chickens are in charge. I just do my best to make them happy. Good luck with housing your girls.

An Open Air coop is VERY well-suited to the hot, humid climate of the US southeast and gulf coast.

That is, a covered or half-covered, fully predator-secured run with a 3-sided shelter at one end to protect them from winter storm winds.

This is my current build: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/large-open-air-coop-in-central-nc.1443812/

And the main inspiration for it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/large-open-air-coop-in-central-nc.1443812/

Since you wouldn't need something that big for only 5 hens,^ you might also consider a hoop coop, which uses less lumber. Here's one example: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/permanent-hoop-coop-guide.47818/

There are cheap ways to build coops, and lumber has come down a ton in price.

A super cheap way to do it is frame a box with 2x4's ($5 each treated) and then wrap it with 1x6 treated fence posts ($2 each at Lowes). You can frame in a 5x5x5 box with doors and walls for under $150.

Back
Top Bottom