No cost coop from recycled materials

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by henmother921, Apr 9, 2017.

1. henmother921

henmother921 Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Canyon City Oregon
    I'm a newbie to the chicken raising family. I am about 5 weeks in and every week is a new experience. I have been around chickens throughout my life but I have never had my own. So now is my chance. I finally decided to take the chicken plunge. It all started out with a talk with my husband about wanting to get chickens. He was not really agreeable at first but he finally came around. Then one day I went shopping with my mom and there just happen to be baby chickens. I HAD to get some. I was fully UN prepared for them at the time. No coop, no nothing but a galvanized steel tub for them to run around in. Luckily I have a husband who works in the glass business so he brought home a windshield box (which is huge) that we made into a brooder for my 8 little ladies. (who were 2 weeks old at the time) I was almost panicking about not having a coop. So my quest began. My husband had brought home a couple very large wood glass crates so I decided to use those for the start of my project. [​IMG]

I hollowed them out and placed them facing each other with a little space between them to make the coop a little larger. I was very fortunate to have all I needed from home remodeling to make this coop. It is a small coop but should have plenty of room for my 8 little ladies. If not, I will be sure to expand later.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Walls, floors and ceiling were insulated with a thick Styrofoam that had come in the glass crates which saved me some money.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most wood was from an old closet that was on my front porch when I bought my home. The roof was made with the old closet doors. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All insulation was covered by boards I had laying around. The floor was painted with deck paint to help protect the wood from chicken droppings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coop has vinyl siding as another extra layer of protection. Siding was off an old mobile home and was also free. I did buy the rooster for the top of the coop but that is the only money I had to put into making this coop. Making an outside roost under the coop's over hang. I still have to put up the chicken run but my project is almost complete. My girls are now 5 weeks old and still indoors at this time but hopefully our weather will warm up enough I can start introducing them to the outdoors really soon.

2. rbreininger

rbreininger Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2017
    SW Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Ya did good!

My only concern is the roost seems to be made of pressure treated wood which I have been told to stay away from if the chickens can contact it.

I am also a newby having started in in December 2016. My introduction was a little strange. One day my wife asked me how I liked my eggs. I replied cooked preferably. Why? She had a friend that was moving out of state and was willing to give us her 5 hens and the coop, run, feeder, waterer, etc.

We have since expanded the run and built a new coop as the old one was too small and falling apart.

The hens are good layers consistently giving us 4 eggs a day.

1 person likes this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    To both of you, welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  4. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    It turned out beautiful! Congratulations on the freebie, mine cost me $3,000.00 for a 8x6 coop and 12x22 run. And that was with free labour. Yikes I could have bought eggs the rest of my life for that. It was a money pit. But my wood shed was totally shingled which was expensive and I put in an electric auto door. I have 10 chickens. My advise , which I did not get beforehand, is to make sure you have room for the broody buster cage in your coop.Make sure yu read up on broody chickens and how to break them on this WEB site. Also congrats on having a handy husband, those are worth a million.

5. henmother921

henmother921 Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Canyon City Oregon

I'm pretty lucky I have been able to get a lot of supplies from my husband's job that they were going to burn. But in all honesty, I'm the one who built the majority of the coop. My husband helped with the roof and had to show me how to side it. [​IMG] It was a fun project. My girls are now outside enjoying their new home. Coop and run are finished. I even added a swing for them.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by