No crow collar... need info.

jwyles

Crossing the Road
6 Years
May 8, 2017
Louisiana
I live in town where Roos aren't allowed; however, I'm pretty sure one of my lavender Ameraucanas is a gentleman. I would really like to keep him (bc now I'm pretty sure my flock have all become carriers of a resp disease- no we wont hatch any eggs). I have seen some mixed reviews regarding no crow collars online. Does anyone have experience with them? Store bought or homemade- I actually plan to make my own if I go that route- experience with either is fine. Any and all comments welcome and wanted! TIA!!!

I used a bought one. It did reduce the noise by about a half, but that didn't cut the mustard at 4 am every morning.

I used a bought one. It did reduce the noise by about a half, but that didn't cut the mustard at 4 am every morning.

Oh no! That won't cut it for my neighbors. A few of them love to fuss. What kind of rooster do you have and do you have any experience with Ameraucana Roos?

Try perusing the threads in this search:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/search/276189/?q=no+crow+collar&t=post&o=date&c[title_only]=1

Overall, sometimes they work OK,
but like Ken said it doesn't eliminate the noise just reduces it to varying extents.

Sometimes they do not work.
There are some very serious risks to the birds health in using one.
They can take some real time commitment, observation, and adjustment to get one to work.

IMO they are kind of cruel.
I'd rather eat the boy if I couldn't keep him,
as I do with all my extra cockerels every year.

You could give him away with disclosure of respiratory issues,
or give him to someone who wants to eat him.

Try perusing the threads in this search:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/search/276189/?q=no+crow+collar&t=post&o=date&c[title_only]=1

Overall, sometimes they work OK,
but like Ken said it doesn't eliminate the noise just reduces it to varying extents.

Sometimes they do not work.
There are some very serious risks to the birds health in using one.
They can take some real time commitment, observation, and adjustment to get one to work.

IMO they are kind of cruel.
I'd rather eat the boy if I couldn't keep him,
as I do with all my extra cockerels every year.

You could give him away with disclosure of respiratory issues,
or give him to someone who wants to eat him.

Wow! Thank you. I do not want to keep him in vain for certain. I will further check it out before I decide but I don't like the idea of risking his well being at all. Thank you for the links!

I had to make a decision to either be able to persue breeding Wheaten Ameraucanas or get rid of all my roosters. The hubby was having a difficult time sleeping with the crowing. So I purchased some livestock leg bands and carefully, loosely fitted each rooster with a collar to get them used to the idea of a collar. It took a couple tries with each boy to get it in the right spot and move the hackle feathers around so they weren't sticking out.

I have 5 roosters with these on and most are quieter and don't crow as often and seem as comfortable as they can be with them. It took about a week of tightening and loosening the collars to get the right fit for each one. One rooster still has an awful high pitched crow but I won't go any tighter on him. It is what it is. I know the risks of the collars but it's a risk I am willing to take and I'm really carful about watching the boys for any discomfort and regularly inspecting them.
I also make sure they have free choice feed to prevent them from gorging and getting pellets stuck in their esophagus. I don't know if it would cause a problem or not but I don't want to find out.

I had to make a decision to either be able to persue breeding Wheaten Ameraucanas or get rid of all my roosters. The hubby was having a difficult time sleeping with the crowing. So I purchased some livestock leg bands and carefully, loosely fitted each rooster with a collar to get them used to the idea of a collar. It took a couple tries with each boy to get it in the right spot and move the hackle feathers around so they weren't sticking out.

I have 5 roosters with these on and most are quieter and don't crow as often and seem as comfortable as they can be with them. It took about a week of tightening and loosening the collars to get the right fit for each one. One rooster still has an awful high pitched crow but I won't go any tighter on him. It is what it is. I know the risks of the collars but it's a risk I am willing to take and I'm really carful about watching the boys for any discomfort and regularly inspecting them.
I also make sure they have free choice feed to prevent them from gorging and getting pellets stuck in their esophagus. I don't know if it would cause a problem or not but I don't want to find out.

Thank you! What was the temperament of your Aneraucana roosters?

I don't know that there is a way to totally eliminate the crowing. Honestly, if you're not allowed roosters, the best thing would be to find him a new home. If you are caught with an illegal rooster, you may have to get rid of him right away, rather than take the time to find the right place for him.

if you can find a good vet, there is a relatively simple procedure that nearly eliminates their crowing with no apparent negative effect to their "manhood". it involves making a small incision near the base of their neck, does involves some anesthesia and is not cheap, but for those who need a roo and don't want to piss off the neighbors, it's an option. where I live there is zero tolerance for roosters and I've been tempted to find a vet. it may sound cruel, but if it allows a rooster to live a happy life in suburbia then I think there is an argument for it being better than putting him down, which is what happens to the vast majority because there is such a surplus.

Back
Top Bottom