No crow collar with self adhesive sports tape? Anyone tried this?

PoppySeedy

Chirping
May 14, 2021
Recently I was going through no crow collar threads and saw a method where, instead of using velcro for a no crow collar, they used self adhesive sports tape. Wrapped around the neck twice where the collar would sit. I was wondering if anyone else has used this method as it sounds a lot more humane than no crow collars as the self adhesive sports tape is much more flexible and has a lot of stretch to it. Im looking for anyone who has used this method and the best advice for if you do, like the best width for the tape, how tight it should be and if you still apply the same rules as a normal collar. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Recently I was going through no crow collar threads and saw a method where, instead of using velcro for a no crow collar, they used self adhesive sports tape. Wrapped around the neck twice where the collar would sit. I was wondering if anyone else has used this method as it sounds a lot more humane than no crow collars as the self adhesive sports tape is much more flexible and have a lot of stretch to it. Im looking for anyone who has used this method and the best advice for if you do, like the best width for the tape, how tight it should be and if you still apply the same rules as a normal collar. Thanks :)
Personally I would not use a no crow collar.
If you saw some threads about it, contact the OP of the thread and ask them how well it worked.

I guess I wouldn't use them either. I have all hens, so there's no crowing, but I recently purchased two unsexed bantams and I'm hoping one of them is a rooster. I want the crowing, but my coop is located away from most residences. A few may hear it, but not loudly.

I guess I wouldn't use them either. I have all hens, so there's no crowing, but I recently purchased two unsexed bantams and I'm hoping one of them is a rooster. I want the crowing, but my coop is located away from most residences. A few may hear it, but not loudly.
I love hearing my roo crow, however our house is located near other houses. Our roo is a big lad too so he's often quite loud, I think the neighbours don't mind (my direct neighbour said it reminds them of going on holiday 😂) but its mostly so he doesmt get taken away-

So are you allowed to have a rooster?

I could see sports tape rolling up. There's been a few folks that have used them and ended up on the ER threads with a bird that was choking...
Some folks I've seen say it's fine, but for me I still would not use one. They are still going to make noise. My hens are way louder than my roosters.

Recently I was going through no crow collar threads and saw a method where, instead of using velcro for a no crow collar, they used self adhesive sports tape. Wrapped around the neck twice where the collar would sit. I was wondering if anyone else has used this method as it sounds a lot more humane than no crow collars as the self adhesive sports tape is much more flexible and has a lot of stretch to it. Im looking for anyone who has used this method and the best advice for if you do, like the best width for the tape, how tight it should be and if you still apply the same rules as a normal collar. Thanks :)
I wanted to come back to this to say what we have done now. We've permanently stopped using collars after my boy nearly passed away due to them, my family kept forcing me to put collars on until I put my foot down and said that enough was enough. I said "as long as he gets to live a happy chicken life with no collar ill be happy, even if he ends up living elsewhere" so we took his collar off and none of my neighbours mind the increased volume. We've had no noise complaints and I live in a VERY urban area so im actually surprised. I even prepared to send him to an animal sanctuary just in case-

So my lesson from this. Just take the collars off, its not worth it at the end of the day and if you really love your boys, don't use them. And this is coming from someone who tried EVERYTHING; cheap collars, expensive collars, elastic, bandage wrap, velcro etc. None worked and all caused issues. My boy is actually more quiet now than he was with the collar on, only crows once in the morning in his box and once in the afternoon now, as opposed to every minute with a collar on. Less and louder is always better than more and muted.

My boy is so much happier without a collar on. I will never EVER put one on again. I hope my story inspires others to ditch the collars- its really just not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom