No crow collar

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Skye727, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Skye727

Skye727 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    I just my Serama roo a collar today. The one for his size chokes him. I have one for my cochin that I haven't used yet. It's too wide and he took it off. He would hold his head up and walked funny with it on. What now?!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Take the collar off and let him crow?

I mean, I'm not trying to sound snotty, but that's what roosters do. Why do you need the collar, anyway? Is it because you're not supposed to have roosters where you live? Annoying the neighbors? Or you?

There are other solutions to the crowing, like a darkened box or curtains on the coop, to keep the noise from happening early or whatever. I just don't understand why everyone is suddenly putting collars on their roosters here lately? If you can't handle the crowing, then don't keep them?

I hope you figure out something that works for your situation, I really do. There is a thread here on BYC about these no crow collars. That may be a great place for you to do some research (if you haven't already). Or, maybe ask your question there and see if others are having same experience with the collars. I love hearing my roosters crow, so I don't have a need for one.

Again, good luck.

2 people like this.
  3. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    We tried a collar for a roo that just could not shut up. He was miserable, which made me miserable. I threw the collar away, and will never do it again.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^

5. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I've never heard of this before. One of the silliest things I've heard about lately.

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hi

I also do not want to sound snotty ... I have had some determined broodies who would not be broken and as I cannot keep roosters, purchased them some fertile eggs to hatch. I get very, very attached to the little ones but I know that if they are roosters, they have to go; it is the only fair thing to do for the neighbours and his sake.

I agree with the other posts in that it comes down to why do you need to put a collar on your rooster? Is it because you are not allowed to have roosters in your area? Why do you want to keep the rooster?

As much as I love my little guys, I ask myself "why do I need to keep a rooster?" I can purchase fertile eggs if I need them. Yep, they are great flock protectors but depending on where you are located, is he necessary?

I have a friend on BYC who has a 12 month old rooster who does have a crow collar and gets to sleep in a dark man cave each night. She wants to keep him because she has grown very very attached to him and I understand that.

Anyway, it took her weeks of getting the collar adjusted just right. He is OK with it now and it appears to be working out for him and her, but she nearly lost him when it was a little too tight!

For me, I am thinking if you need to silence a rooster, for whatever reason, maybe the reason for having the rooster needs a rethink .. just my ever so humble opinion.

I have a little Silkie I so very much want to keep and I am sweating on gender at the moment. If he is a rooster and I was allowed to keep him, I would let him sing his little heart out .. but if he is a rooster, I am going to have to find a home for him [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by