No crow collars for roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jennifer74, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Jennifer74

Jennifer74 Just Hatched

Jul 14, 2016
  2. Jenna14Chicken

Jenna14Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    OH.
    In my opinion I wouldn't use them, they seem cruel.

3. Kyanite

Kyanite Loving Life! Premium Member

May 27, 2016
    SE Idaho
    I was browsing Amazon last night for chicken stuff and these kept popping up in the recommended items. I clicked and read the reviews. I was curious about the before, but no longer. The majority of the reviews said either 1. Simply didn't work, 2. Rooster pulled it off easily, or the worst 3. Rooster died. To be fair, some people did have success, but the majority of the reviews were negative.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That about sums it up.
    They can work, but they take lots of monitoring and they can be dangerous.
    IMO they're 'cruel'.

Do a search here on BYC, you'll find lots to read about them.

5. Jennifer74

Jennifer74 Just Hatched

Jul 14, 2016
    That pretty much answers my question. I have 2 wyandottes, brown leghorn wyandotte mix and 2 fibro melanistic olive egger mixes that I got straight run and if any turn out to be roosters I'm not sure what to do since my husband and I agreed no roosters since we dont want to piss off our neighbors. I got chickens as pets - any eggs I get are just a bonus so I wouldnt be able to butcher any or send off to a processing place were I have no idea how they would be treated until butchered. I see tons of posts in forums trying to rehome roosters and nobody wants them. Any other alternatives to keeping them quiet or what to do with them?

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    This where the Romance meets the Reality in chicken keeping.
    Cock/erels are a dime a dozen, as you've noticed...especially this time of year, lots of folks in your position.
    You can put an ad in local paper or online and ask for 'pet only homes'.....or let them go to whomever and ask no questions.
    No matter where they go, you can't really control what happens to them after they leave.
    Not sure there's any real good way to keep a cock/erel from crowing that isn't somewhat 'cruel'.

1 person likes this.
  7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hi there [​IMG]

We are not allowed to have roosters where I am and so that I do not risk the unwanted attention of having the authorities on my doorstep, I have not attempted to keep one so I have no personal experience with the no-crow collar but I have a friend who has.

Her first BCM rooster she tried it on was not happy with it initially but got used to it. She was not that happy with the ones she bought and ended up making her own.

I have heard of a few roosters choking to death while wearing the collar. Even with the correct setting, sometimes there is the risk of them eating something a bit bigger than normal and it not being able to move past the collar.

My friend nearly lost her boy when she was tweaking the collar and it was a little too tight; so if you are going to try one, obviously watch very closely. It took her probably two weeks of early morning tweakings to find the right setting.

However, this rooster still had to go into his man cave at night because even with the collar on the best setting she could find, he managed to make enough noise that the neighbours could hear him.

So, he used to sleep in a crate, with his collar on and in a dark corner under the house (she has an under house coop).

Anyways, because she felt this to be cruel, he is now living on a farm and can crow to his heart’s delight.

His son, who she kept, now has a no crow collar but with him it is enough to keep his crows at a less audible level and he does not have to sleep in a man cave and sleeps with his hens on the roost.

With what I have read about the collars (extensive), it works for some and not for others.

This is a good thread regarding the collar, lots of stories and pros and cons:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/906916/no-crow-rooster-collar/140

I know of someone else who has a number of roosters in a no rooster zone. He built a rooster night box which is sound proofed and remains darker for longer in the morning:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/792990/our-diy-rooster-night-box

With the hatches I have had here and the resultant roosters, I have been able to give them away and we also have a local Feed Store that will take them from you for $5 and reportedly attempt to rehome them for you. I do not believe that all of them, if any, get rehomed but sadly, as aart has mentioned, the reality is that we can not control what happens to them after they leave but we also can not keep them which is why I keep my hatches to a minimum and only succumb to broody hens when I may need to increase numbers due to loss.

8. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    I've heard of them and they seem cruel to me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by