no crow for me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by andy, Nov 4, 2007.

1. andy

andy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    grimsby,,,{England}
    hi ,,as a few people know i've got a golden buff orp rooster,that i hatched,he's about 17-18 weeks old now,and a beuty,ive always said that if or when he starts crowing i'll have to get rid of him,as i have a lot of close neighbours,,well he hasn't made a sound..does this mean he won't ever crow,as theres no other roosters about for a bout 10 miles,or he's not old enough yet,,i really want to keep him as i think they look great when there mature,

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    dont let him know he's spose to crow, I had one that didn't crow till almost 5 months old now cant get him to shut up. Enjoy the quiet, and hope if he starts the neighbours dont mind [​IMG] good luck

3. greenacre

greenacre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2007
    South Eastern Michigan
    My roo didn't start crowing until around 18 weeks or so. He still sounds a little rusty, but his crow has come a long way in just a few weeks. The good news...he only crows in the morning (once or twice), so maybe you'll get lucky! My neighbors are very close, but they don't mind hearing him since he actually makes less noise than all the barking dogs in the neighborhood.

4. Part of the joy of having chickens is hearing the roo's crow. Get friendly with your neighbors, I found that if your friends, most friends overlook other friends problems, that's what makes them friend's, if they still complain, just tell them that you like chickens instead of the usual cat's and dogs. After all every neighbor hood needs one person who is different. If they have childrren let the children pet the roo, and explain your the one that's different in your neighborhood and after all, nobody has to buy a clock with a roo to wake them up. Good Luck.

Mother to 24 RIR's, 1 Pit bull,1 poodle mix 1yorkie, and 1 cat someone dropped off.

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, I agree with you sundance. Neighbors that benefit from fresh eggs, or just good neighborly embrace can go miles. When I worried about the problem of my rooster crowing, and talked to them about it, they said they liked the sound of the roo, cause it reminded them of Grandmas house. You just never Know?

Stress is always caused by not being prepared.... check it out first than deal with the problems, that may not even be there.
    Stay Strong, cuz it's worth the peace.

bigzio

6. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    Mine havent crowed yet either and they are 19 to 20 weeks . I want mine to crow [​IMG] . I love the sound of a crow.
    Take Care
    Cristina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by