No Crow roo collar?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hyper_Chicken05, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Hyper_Chicken05

Hyper_Chicken05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2017
    Hamilton, New zealand
    Hi guys, I am considering adding a rooster to my flock but i live in an area where roosters are banned. I was wondering if roos would actaully be quiter than hens with a collar. My thoughts would be that if the rooster crows 10 times a day, and the hens do 10 egg songs a day, what would be louder. I am guessing the hens because the egg song last a couple of minutes but the crow last like 3 secs. And if you take include the collar that ads another point for the roosters. i was also wondering if there are certain breeds that would be better for urban living? But anyways thanks for your replys. :D
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    In my experience you'd be lucky to reduce crowing volume by more than 50% and believe me, any cock bird will crow a lot more than 10 times a day / very early morning.
  3. Hyper_Chicken05

Hyper_Chicken05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2017
    Hamilton, New zealand
    Ok, i forgot to mention that i would use the rooster crate at night so the rooster won't Crow over night. If the roo crows to much its gone lol, i will try to find a roo that doesen’t crow to much. I know soemone with a roo thatvonly crows like 5 times a day. So i will just wair for my lucky roo lol.
  4. AllenK RGV

AllenK RGV Chicken Addict Premium Member

Check youtube there are tons of no crow collar videos there. Then make a decision.
    biophiliac and sourland like this.
  5. AmazingRachel

AmazingRachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2017
    Westchester, NY
    Yeah no. I too live in an area where roosters are banned. I tried a No Crow Collar but it only reduced the noise by 50%, apparently loud enough to have 3 complaints filed against me/my parents. He was in a soundproofed coop from sunset to ~8/9 in the morning, but still got complaints.
    Bottom line, I wouldn't risk it.
  6. Tiana's chickens

Tiana's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2017
    I've just ordered the collar myself, can't wait to try it
    [email protected] likes this.
  7. AllenK RGV

AllenK RGV Chicken Addict Premium Member

I just don't get it how people don't like hearing a rooster crow. We have no noise restrictions at all where I live but I chose my property for exactly that reason. Chicken weren't part of the plan but became a part later after I found too many scorpions for comfort so decided their food sources had to go(hopefully). I re-homed all of my roos and really miss the crowing I now have such a quiet property unless the hens are laying and singing that song. Regardless, 50% of my neighbors have roos that crow all night and my neighbor has a dog that barks all night long and it is the dog I find most annoying.
    biophiliac and sourland like this.
  8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Flock Master

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I agree with @Pork Pie Ken a rooster will crow more than 10X a day (my experience too) He will also most likely join in with the girls for the egg experience if 1 lays an egg, most if not all sing along including the rooster. Maybe not for every single egg laid, but some days they celebrate every egg :)

Crated at night or not, he may still crow. Any disturbance he could sound off, or if he wakes up - LOL It's just their thing.

I'm very sorry, but if they are banned, then it may be better to forgo having a rooster at this time. What you may want to do, is look into changing that ban.

Good luck!
  9. tigger19687

tigger19687 Chillin' With My Peeps

THIS is the reason that backyard owners get a bad name !!!

Seriously ???!!! You KNOW it is BANNED, yet you are going to do it anyway?
    I bet when you get caught you will be the one crying over it all but you will have no one to blame but yourself !

What is the point to having a roo anyway ???
    Ohmyheart and imnukensc like this.
  10. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    Why do you want a rooster when you aren't allowed to have one?
    Farmer Connie and imnukensc like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by