No crow rooster collar question from WA

Leanrz

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2017
Hello all, brand new to BYC. I have a lovely 9 month old french black copper maran rooster. He currently wears a no crow collar. He occssionally gets this foamy spittle coming out of his nostrils and mouth which then gets on his neck/waddle or comb when he shakes it off. He is in healthy condition otherwise. My question is this....is this a common side effect of wearing a no crow collar? He didnt have this issue before the collar. Looking for some answers as I find this alarming at times when it gets really foamy. Thank you in advance!

G’Day from down under Leanrz
frow.gif
Welcome!

Sorry, I have no personal experience with the no-crow collar but I do have a friend that has used them. She never mentioned that as a side effect.

If you pop ‘no crow collar’ into the search option there are multiple threads, some of which may be able to answer your question.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

I have close neighbors, one is a flaglot whose bedroom window faces my backyard and chicken coop, the other neighbors bedroom is less than 100 feet away from my coop. I took it off for a few days and he would crow on and off between 3-5am....neighbors not happy to say the least. I had to kill and eat his brother for this very reason, plus he was aggressive, could not rehome him. I kept the nice sweet rooster. The no crow collar is the only thing keeping him alive. :(

Greetings,
I use a collar on our roo, and have had good results. I would be concerned if the rooster was doing as yours is. I usually check ours about once a week to make sure it is loosened a bit as he gets bigger.
I have used both the NoCrow and the Cock Collar (http://www.cockcollars.com.au).
I personally prefer the Cock Collar, as it has a bit of stretch to the material. I think it makes it easier to get the collar snug enough to work, while having a bit of give to ensure not choking the bird.
Good luck with your little friends.
Happy trails,
Keith

I'm thinking maybe the position of the collar is causing his reaction. Maybe if it were moved just a bit, higher or lower - it might be a better fit. Something about it is causing his distress. There are threads concerning the no crow collars. I believe you can find them through the search box above. Folks there may have encountered the same problem with their rooster. At any rate you would get more feedback.

Thank you, ill check out the cock collar. I bought this home made collar from a local women i buy my feed from. Its a thick band of strap (kinda like backpack strap material) with velcro attached to it. I have it at the base of his neck. He has had it on and off since october until new nwighbors started to complain.

I can fit a pinky finger under it, when i initially put it on, it takes 3 different nights of adjusting to find the perfect tightness to quiet him. his skin looks good under it, no feathers but i assume that's normal from a collar rubbing against them. He seems content during the day watching over his girls, mounting his girls, eating and drinking, calling the girls over when he spies something tasty and patrolling the yard. Occasionally he bows his head and steps backwards like he does when i adjust his collar.

Back
Top Bottom