No crow

cacklemama

Songster
Oct 11, 2017
Ocean county New Jersey
I had a rooster was eating and drinking trying to crow and no noise. No coughing or sneezing. Comb and wattle were turning purple. I am assuming respiratory disease or gape worms not sure. I isolated him dosed him with tylan 50 and some Vet-x which was unsuccessful. Lost him after a week of treatment 😪. What should I do if anything with the rest of my flock. He was in my serama area with mamas and chicks before I isolated him.

ChickenCanoe

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Nov 23, 2010
St. Louis, MO
There is no way to know how to proceed with your other birds till you find out what killed him.
Keep him refrigerated and send him to your state poultry lab for necropsy and lab tests.
New Jersey Department of Agriculture, Division of Animal Health -
Animal Health Diagnostic Laboratory, NJPHEAL
3 Schwarzkopf Drive Ewing, New Jersey 08628
Phone: 609-406-6999

Dosing with Tylan won't do anything if the problem isn't a bacteria that is treatable. It could also be viral, fungal, protozoal, environmental, nutritional or even a bacteria that isn't curable.
Until you know exactly what killed him, you won't know a path forward.
If you don't get a necropsy, all you can do is watch the flock as @Chickenhappy8708 noted.

Last edited:

Chickenhappy8708

Songster
May 2, 2020
Eastern Michigan
There is no way to know how to proceed with your other birds till you find out what killed him.
Keep him refrigerated and send him to your state poultry lab for necropsy and lab tests.
New Jersey Department of Agriculture, Division of Animal Health -
Animal Health Diagnostic Laboratory, NJPHEAL
3 Schwarzkopf Drive Ewing, New Jersey 08628
Phone: 609-406-6999

Dosing with Tylan won't do anything if the problem isn't a bacteria that is treatable. It could also be viral, fungal, protozoal, environmental, nutritional or a bacteria that isn't curable.
Until you know exactly what killed him, you won't know a path forward.
That is the only way to know for sure.

Top Bottom