No crow???

Discussion in 'Quail' started by GBov, Sep 21, 2010.

1. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Thought I had removed all my roos from my hens but have one pretty red one that I couldnt tell if it was a boy or a girl but as my little oddball was so cute I kept it. I havnt heard any crowing but cleaned out the pen today and found an egg that was about 3 or 4 days old. I had seen it but thought "Yeh, I'll pick that up in a min." and didnt.

Cracked it open and found a bit of chick growing activity!

Not much, but deff. an embryo developing.

Will a roo not crow if he is alone? Or do I just have a stealth rooster [​IMG]

2. ssbs

ssbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Depends, how long ago did you remove the roos?? If it's been less than a few weeks ago then the hen that laid it was probably bred prior to their removal.

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I have some very quiet roos...the one in my bedroom doesn't crow unless he is hungry [​IMG]

4. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    Quote:Its been 8 or so weeks now since I took them out.

5. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    Quote:Well, my lot dont get hungry often - little piggies that they are - so no luck there [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Males will crow more if they are alone or don't have enough females...so I guess your guy is pretty happy [​IMG]

7. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Question: what is the max ratio of roo to hen for fertile egg production [coturnix] ? [​IMG]

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I house my birds in smaller groups as a preference, but I get VERY fertile eggs with 2 cocks and 6-7 hens in each enclosure, some have 5 cocks and 14 hens and those work too...as long as the boys don't fight and they have ladies to "work" with it's all good.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The most hens I've had in one pen was with my browns last season, I had 12 (I think?) hens with 2 roos. The least I've had was 1 roo with 2 hens...either way worked all right. Except that the 2 hen pen had bald hens [​IMG]

10. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    The other reason I think maybe this one may be a boy is some of the girls are scruffy looking with bald patches on their backs. I havnt caught anyone breeding but is they arnt shouldnt the feathers have grown back by now?

The suspect male is my shyest bird so just watching it involves sneaking up on the pen.

Think I might just set 20 or so eggs and see what happens. Its always nice to have an excuse to hatch some eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by