No donut or white spot visible

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joebryant, Jan 21, 2009.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

My black Orpington hen recently began to lay. I've seen the rooster mate with her. I cooked one of her eggs this morning. When I cracked the egg and dropped it into the skillet, I looked for the white donut to see it was fertile. I could not see the white spot (if infertile) or the donut (if fertile).
    Question: Is it possible that it was on the other side of the yolk that I couldn't see because it was being fried in the pan.

2. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Anne just got up, and I cracked an egg for her and put in a saucer. I still could not see a spot or a donut. I took another saucer put it over the saucer with the egg and flipped it over so that I could see the other side of the yolk. THERE IT WAS, a white dot. Wonder why it wasn't fertile. Hmmmm

3. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I guess sometimes they may not be mating exactly "correctly". If he is young he may not be that good at it yet.
    I know i have also heard mention that too much fluff can get in the way.
    Or maybe he's just shootin' blanks! (but I bet it will get better with time)
    ~Rebecca

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

There are a couple factors that could play a role here, to young to have the right mojo, not hitting the target, or he could have reproductive problems.
    I would give it some time and see what happens. I find that the little clear bowls work the best for looking for fertility in eggs. You can find them at Wal-Mart in the cooking utensil section.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by