No Dummy egg= no real eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bannerdb, Sep 22, 2011.

1. bannerdb

bannerdb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Donegal, Ireland
    I don't know if this is silly or not? I recently bought 3 ISA brown hens that were already laying, and moved them into the coop. I placed a dummy egg in the nesting box to show them where to lay. They were laying since day one, each one of them laying in the nesting boxes. I decided to remove the dummy egg after 2 weeks as it was getting dirty, and it kept fooling me every day!! The girls all laid for one more day, and all of a sudden, they stopped, all three of them! I haven't had an egg from them in a week. They haven't hidden any eggs anywhere, and there are no nests in their big run. I just can't figure it out??? No sign of lice or mites either.

Could it be that because I removed the dummy egg, that it's triggered something that has stopped them laying? It's the only thing that I changed!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I seriously doubt it. How old are the ISA's? You are feeding them well, I assume. ISAs require a rather high protein feed to produce.
    Also, fall is upon us. Are you providing an artificial light?

3. tpeila

tpeila Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    University Place, WA
    Fred's Hens :

I seriously doubt it. How old are the ISA's? You are feeding them well, I assume. ISAs require a rather high protein feed to produce.

What is an ISA?​

4. bannerdb

bannerdb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Donegal, Ireland
    Fred's Hens :

I haven't applied the artificial light just yet. I thought it may hae been a little early. My girls get out around 7.30-8am and usually head into the coop again at around 7.30pm, so they are getting about 12hours of daylight a the moment. However, they were heading in to roost at 8.30-9pm just over a week ago. Could that small change have such an effect on egg production?

I relation to their feed, they are getting free range layers mash with a 15.5% protein content. Is that a high enough level? No eggs again today!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by