No eating or drinking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PAchixMomma, Mar 28, 2015.

1. PAchixMomma

PAchixMomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2015
    Fayette County, PA
    I picked up 2 Araucanas the other day. I noticed one pecking at the other when I got them home, but it didn't seem excessive. After introductions to the rest of the flock and monitoring everyone seemed fine...curious not aggressive. The next morning one of the new girls would not open her eyes (I am assuming someone got to her eyes over night). I separated her with her own food and water and made sure she was taking both before leaving for work. Now she won't do either. I tried putting her back with the others because she kept peeping. After watching for about 2 hours still nothing. She stands around and peeps very loudly and occassionally crawls under my Brahma's wing (and is accepted fine). Is there anything I can do to help her out or is this a lost cause. I don't want to lose her (or any of them for that matter) and I am ok with having a special needs chick...but I am out of ideas! Please help if possible.

2. HumbleHen207

HumbleHen207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Maine
    How are her eyes? Are they sealed or cloudy? Are the other birds keeping her from feed and water (this is common with new birds). The overwhelming stress from the move may be having an effect on her. I would honestly try and keep her separate from the flock, and maybe with a friend, all the while keeping an eye on her for other symptoms that may be causing her distress.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    All new birds should be quarantined for 30 or more days just in case they show signs of an infectious disease. With closed eyes, she could have a number of things wrong--her eyes may be injured, she could be showing signs of a respiratory disease, or she may just be very sick. Since she peeps, it sounds like she is very young, and that could be coccidiosis. Signs of cocci are lethargy, weakness, puffing up, not eating or drinking (especially when very ill,) and diarrhea or bloody poops. If you suspect cocci, get some Corid (amprollium) a cattle medicine from your feed store to treat the water. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days, and treat all birds. If she still keeps her eyes closed, you can apply some plain Triple antibiotic ointment or Neosporing into her eyes.

4. PAchixMomma

PAchixMomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2015
    Fayette County, PA
    Her eyes are just closed....not bloody...and the "fuzz" around them is still intact. The other birds are not keeping her from food and water. ..she has access to both and will sit next to either feeder and peep. I'm heading to the feed store now to pick up some things. Hopefully, she'll come around.

5. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

Hope you flock gets better. There is great advice above.

6. HumbleHen207

HumbleHen207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Maine
    Hopefully she does come around, however I would advise removing her just in case she is carrying something. It may even be something she picked up from your flock she wasnt exposed to. In the very least separation would allow you to observe her more closely, and see if her stools are abnormal. It may just be stress, but better to be safe. Can you get any pictures of her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by