No egg after molting.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sally8, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Sally8

Sally8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Hornby,NY
    My hens are just getting through the molting process. One is an EE and always laid a green egg. Either she hasn't started laying again or she changed her egg color. This may sound bizarre but the EE were late starters to lay eggs in the beginning. Is she late to begin laying again or is there a problem? She laid an egg almost everyday without fail. They all had worms and lice and we can finally start eating the eggs this week end. Any ideas? :(

2. Gofygure

Gofygure Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Most hens go through a rest period while their body handles the molting phase. It's nothing to worry about, but the time it takes to start laying again varies by bird. Give her a few weeks more- there's probably nothing wrong.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Hens can drop a lot of weight while molting. They need time after growing their feathers back in to get their body weight back up in order to start laying again.

4. Sally8

Dec 11, 2011
    Hornby,NY
    Guess what I got today? A very nice green egg! It certainly took you long enough, Peckles!

5. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

6. Sally8

Dec 11, 2011
    Hornby,NY
    I see that you have Welsummers and Barnevelders. Do you like their temperament? Before I got my Marans eggs I was actually looking for Barnevelders. I wanted the dark eggs, I already had blue and green. The shock factor was so funny with people. Then I joined BYC. I thought that I would learn about the Marans and why they are such a "hot item" with people. It amazes me with all the conflict there is on here, It's like a car wreck. I just have to look. Do you think that your hens lay as dark or darker than the Marans? If I ever see any for sale, chicks or eggs, around my area, I'll probably get them. Nice chatting with you!

7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

They both have different temperaments, but yes, I like both of them. Welsummers are friendly, but not lap chickens. Barnevelders are more laid back, so you could make them lap chickens if you wanted. (I don't)

As for egg color, barnevelder eggs are in need of improvement in egg color. Welsummers are supposed to lay terra cotta (clay pot) colored eggs. As far as comparing to Marans egg color, no they would not be darker than Marans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by