No "egg care" thread in the FAQ section

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cptbahama, Jul 12, 2011.

1. cptbahama

cptbahama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    augusta, georgia
    Now that my hens are laying, some questions regarding care for the eggs come to mind. So I searched the FAQ page looking for a thread about collecting the eggs, outside temps, washing, refrigerating, etc. I was surprised to not find any.
    Here are just a few of my questions:
    Can I pull the egg from the nest box and eat it right away? Or should I wait a day or two to "let it set"?
    The egg may sit in the nest box a day or two before being collected. Sometimes they just get overlooked or covered with pine shavings. How many days in the summer heat is acceptable and when should an egg be thrown out?
    Once the eggs are collected, how long can they sit at room temperature in the house before being eaten?
    At which point is refrigeration necessary?
    How long are they good in refrigeration?
    Every so often I notice an egg with feces on it. I just wash it with mild dish soap and move on. I don't wash every egg, though. What is the standard?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Can I pull the egg from the nest box and eat it right away? Or should I wait a day or two to "let it set"? You can eat it right away.
    The egg may sit in the nest box a day or two before being collected. Sometimes they just get overlooked or covered with pine shavings. How many days in the summer heat is acceptable and when should an egg be thrown out? I wouldn't go more than 2 days in the heat of summer. If it's in question, you can put the egg in water and if it floats, it's bad.
    Once the eggs are collected, how long can they sit at room temperature in the house before being eaten? Unwashed, about a week.
    At which point is refrigeration necessary? If you wash them, they need to be refrigerated immediately. When the hen lays the egg, she coats the egg in a protective bloom that keeps bacteria out. Eggs are porous, so when you wash them, you take away that protection and bacteria can get inside the egg.
    How long are they good in refrigeration? Unwashed, several months. Washed, a few weeks.
    Every so often I notice an egg with feces on it. I just wash it with mild dish soap and move on. I don't wash every egg, though. What is the standard? If you wash the egg, put it in an area to be used first. You can also wet a paper towel and just touch up the area with poop, if it's not too bad. No standard - some people wash their eggs, some don't. I don't.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hi, you can eat an egg fresh from the nestbox. I sometimes wait for my breakfast egg and cook it while it's still warm. I'm afraid I can't tell you how long an egg will stay fresh as I eat or sell them daily. If it's hot and I have eggs left over at the end of the day, I put it in the frigde. I learned something helpful once: If you want to know if an egg is fresh float it in room temp water. Put enough water in a container to cover the egg. Gently place the egg in the water. If it stays flat under water, it's fresh. If it lifts a bit it's still edible, if it stands "on it's head" it's past it's prime, but still edible and if it floats you can throw it away.
    I don't wash all my eggs, just wash the poo and mud when it's rainy. Eggshells are porous, so it absorbs bad things and can go off quick if covered in something yuck.
    Hope this helps!

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
  5. Wyo Chick

Wyo Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Great info! Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by