No egg -- Only Yolk -- Left in Nest Box of New Layer

SapphireVL

Chirping
May 21, 2021
I have a buff silkie bantam that is 6 1/2 months old, and have several other silkie bantams the same age, so I can't say for 100% certain if she has laid an egg yet. (They all started showing interest in the nest boxes about two weeks ago, and several have started to lay, but I'm almost sure she was not one of them.) Today, "Buttercup" spent all morning in the nest box, and I thought that even for a first egg, that was too long. So around noon, I checked her to make sure she didn't have a stuck egg. I'm no vet or expert, but I didn't see or feel anything of concern. About 1/2 hour later, she left the box, but there was no egg, only what looked like a yellow (runny yolk) puddle. I have been worried that she has pieces of broken egg stuck inside of her! I kept a close eye on Buttercup the rest of the day, which she spent running around with the flock as normal and did not seem distressed. I checked her vent and didn't see anything like blood or pieces of shell. Is this normal for a new egg layer or should I be concerned?

Last edited:
Sounds like she laid a shell-less egg (very normal for new layers!) and it popped, explaining why there is no shell but only yolk and whites.
If the shell-less eggs continue, it is best to supplement the flock with calcium in the form of crushed, baked egg shell or crushed oyster shell (can be found at TSC or local feed store).
Thank you for your response and suggestion!

Sounds like she laid a shell-less egg (very normal for new layers!) and it popped, explaining why there is no shell but only yolk and whites.
If the shell-less eggs continue, it is best to supplement the flock with calcium in the form of crushed, baked egg shell or crushed oyster shell (can be found at TSC or local feed store).
Thank you for your help and suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom