No egg song???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueberrychickens, Jan 26, 2011.

1. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    So I was in the coop this am doing the daily clean up & there was a line up to get in the nest boxes. My EE hopped up into the box & quickly laid her egg, but she sang no egg song. Is that normal??? [​IMG] I was right there to gather the egg so I know it wasn't left in the nest boxes over night since it was still warm. I've heard my BO's sing the egg song but never from my EE's, do they sing an egg song?? I thought all chickens sang the egg song when laying those beautiful eggs. [​IMG]

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    OH, I could only hope that mine don't sing. I'd love the peace and quiet in the neighborhood.

3. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Some sing, some don't. I do have a few EEs that sing but it's mostly my Black Stars that sing the longest and loudest.

4. palochknldy

palochknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    Only one out of my 4 will sing the song. She only does it every once in awhile.

5. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Wow, thats good to know that not all chickens sing the egg song. I never knew that, I just thought they all sang the song. Now I don't have to worry about my EE.

6. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    My Delaware was singing her heart out last night at 9pm! Luckily, we have no close neighbours......

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Most of mine do not sing the egg song when they lay but the funny thing is if one of them feels in the mood and sings, another one joins in. Most of the time they just lay and they are done. This weekend I got to hear it for about half an hour after my GLW laid. I think they keep each other singing with the song. Silly chickens! [​IMG]

8. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    My speckeld sussex and NH red love to sing loudly. My 4 EEs kind of chatter to themselves- no singing. I like when they sing, though- such joy on their voices!!

9. gardeningsis

gardeningsis Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    Illinois
    [​IMG]I have a very old mixed banty who quit laying last year. She stays around the coop most of the time and when another hen lays, my little granny will sing her heart out for them and act so proud. I love her.

10. sunshine23

sunshine23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Hialeah, FL
    My GLW is a new layer and she does not make any noise at all! my Silver Cuckoo Maran makes loud noises all the time but doesn't sing the egg song either when she lays. Now my Speckled Sussex is not laying yet and she sings once in a while [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by