no egg today and swollen chest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by simpsoncj, Jan 20, 2010.

1. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    Okay, so my little oegb hen has layed an egg for the last two days after brooding and raising chicks for more than five weeks. Today I noticed her comb and cheeks are super bright red (they have been more pink). Does anyone know if this is normal after brooding when they start to lay again? Also, her right chest seems bigger than her left and she did not lay an egg today. Just curious.
    CJ

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    The lump in her chest is food in her crop. As she digests it will go down and fill up again when she eats. Most birds do not lay every day, and being an ogeb, she's not a laying breed. She sounds perfectly fine [​IMG]

3. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    Awesome, thank you so much! We thought the lump was food, but weren't sure. What about the comb turning so bright red? It looks so pretty!

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    That just means she's getting back into the habit of laying.

5. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    [​IMG] I have to laugh cause I thought the same thing the 1st time I noticed my OEGB pullet hadnt laid an egg for a couple days and seen her large crop... scared me to death for a sec.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by