No egg / weird egg / yolk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by egay, Nov 25, 2013.

1. egay

egay Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    I got 3 gold sex link this spring. They just started laying two weeks ago. We were getting 3 eggs a day clockwork. Yesterday two did not lay. Today we got this one weird egg (pictured below) and I found my two Barnevalders eating at some liquid (assuming yolk) in the roost this morning before I opened the coop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm assuming its yolk and not a part of the poo on the dropping board. There was no egg shell to be found though.

We are in north Seattle region. It's been freezing at night so I've been closing the roost door at night to avoid draft. There is a separate door to the run below. I'm thinking maybe I should just leave it open to see of the close tight quarters was the issue?

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Young pullets who are just starting to lay come up with some doozy for eggs. Takes some practice to get the egg making machine in gear. Give them a month or so and they'll start doing better. Just make sure they are on the proper diet for laying hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by