NO egg withdrawal period with valbazen.....

rhotes

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 30, 2013
El Paso, TX
NO egg withdrawal period with valbazen.... have you done it or know someone who has? Care to share your experience? No judgement here, just wondering. PS- please do not respond if you haven't personally done this or personally know someone who has. I already know all the reasons why you "shouldn't." But, hey, enquiring minds want to know!

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
It's not approved for use in poultry, so there's no known egg withdrawal period. Piprazine is the only approved wormer, and it only treats roundworms. Mary
Yes, because it hasn't been tested on poultry to establish a withdrawal period.

I'm sure if you use the advanced search function here for 'valbazen' and read thru a ton of posts,
you'll find folks who have used some kind of withdrawal period,
and some that have not done any withdrawal and are still breathing.
At the end of the day it'll still be your risk, or maybe your customers, to undertake as you see fit.

My vet recommends 14 days after last treatment, but I haven't had to use it yet.

PopoMyers

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Kitsap, WA
As this is also used in humans, wouldn't be bad to get wormed while eating eggs. 🪱🪱🪱🪱 We may have worms and not know it. Don't look in the bowl afterwards to be blissfully ignorant. 🤪

Folly's place

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
Since 2016, approvals have changed. Now piperazine is no longer approved, and no loss, given it's limited usefulness. Fenbendazole is approved now, no egg withdrawal, and is a very good product.
Approvals are related, in part, to maintaining the usefulness of drugs used in humans. Very low doses promote drug resistance, not a good thing.
Mary

PopoMyers

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Kitsap, WA
I've been using Valbazen and Safeguard for years in chickens without resistance issues. Both are excellent wormers.
Now that I have both, the girls will be wormed regularly. It's mostly wet and cold now in the PNW, but at least their run doesn't stay soggy. Would you recommend monthly, or bi monthly, or other? I see you're in the opposite corner of the US where it warmed year round.

dawg53

Humble
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Nov 27, 2008
Glen St Mary, Florida
Now that I have both, the girls will be wormed regularly. It's mostly wet and cold now in the PNW, but at least their run doesn't stay soggy. Would you recommend monthly, or bi monthly, or other? I see you're in the opposite corner of the US where it warmed year round.
Since your soil is cold and wet, I recommend worming once every 3 or 4 months.
You're right. Our soil is warm and moist/wet most of the time and I worm monthly.
We're currently getting a nice break from the rain and we're enjoying it. :D

PopoMyers

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Kitsap, WA
Thank you for your recommendation. Have a lovely break. We have rain coming for at least the next several days. The girls are staying under cover, for the most part. Not their favorite thing, especially since I have molting ones.

Top Bottom