No egg

writermom

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 3, 2010
Cottonwood Heights, UT
I have three chickens that hatched in mid February. Two of them, a Easter egger and a Welsummer, started laying eggs at the end of July. My third chicken, another Easter egger, hasn't laid a single egg yet. She is at the bottom of the pecking order, but gets along with the others and isn't picked on. She's smaller than my other EE, but I'd say my other EE is quite portly and my non-layer is probably more of a normal size. She doesn't appear to have any health issues and is eating the same food (layer food) that the others are eating. I'm baffled as to why she's not laying yet. I've searched the yard for any hidden nests, but have never found anything.

Is this normal for some hens to just never lay eggs?

- Holly

Some chickens just are late bloomers but there is a chance that the chickens could be inbread and they are very poor layers if they lay at all. Do you know where the eggs came from? I had one that never laid and sounds just like yours, at the bottom of the pecking order and was somewhat on the smaller sidenbut got along with the others. Got the eggs off of ebay and they guy had all the chickens mixed together. Good luck with her!

Quote:
I got her from IFA in Salt Lake City. I have no idea where they got them. She's a really pretty chicken, and I like her, so she'll be an important part of my little chicken flock whether or not she lays. Thanks for the reply.

Yay Chicks! :

There's a thread on here somewhere with regard to how long it takes some EEs to lay. I think you are still in the ballpark.

I did a search for the info on BYC last night but couldn't find anything. I'll try again when I have more time today. Thanks!​

Quote:
Here are some shots I just took of her:

50237_img_1270.jpg

50237_img_1282.jpg

And here is the one that's already laying (sorry, this one doesn't hold still long enough for photos):

50237_img_1283.jpg

She FINALLY laid today, at just over 34 weeks of age! Holy cow! I was hoping for a blue or green egg, but it was pink. I'm super thrilled that she's laying though, and celebrated that pink egg just as much as any other "first egg" I've gotten from my hens.

Back
Top Bottom