No egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by writermom, Aug 30, 2010.

1. writermom

writermom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Cottonwood Heights, UT
    I have three chickens that hatched in mid February. Two of them, a Easter egger and a Welsummer, started laying eggs at the end of July. My third chicken, another Easter egger, hasn't laid a single egg yet. She is at the bottom of the pecking order, but gets along with the others and isn't picked on. She's smaller than my other EE, but I'd say my other EE is quite portly and my non-layer is probably more of a normal size. She doesn't appear to have any health issues and is eating the same food (layer food) that the others are eating. I'm baffled as to why she's not laying yet. I've searched the yard for any hidden nests, but have never found anything.

Is this normal for some hens to just never lay eggs?

- Holly

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    There's a thread on here somewhere with regard to how long it takes some EEs to lay. I think you are still in the ballpark.

3. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    Some chickens just are late bloomers but there is a chance that the chickens could be inbread and they are very poor layers if they lay at all. Do you know where the eggs came from? I had one that never laid and sounds just like yours, at the bottom of the pecking order and was somewhat on the smaller sidenbut got along with the others. Got the eggs off of ebay and they guy had all the chickens mixed together. Good luck with her!

4. writermom

Mar 3, 2010
    Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Quote:I got her from IFA in Salt Lake City. I have no idea where they got them. She's a really pretty chicken, and I like her, so she'll be an important part of my little chicken flock whether or not she lays. Thanks for the reply.

5. writermom

Mar 3, 2010
    Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Yay Chicks! :

There's a thread on here somewhere with regard to how long it takes some EEs to lay. I think you are still in the ballpark.

I did a search for the info on BYC last night but couldn't find anything. I'll try again when I have more time today. Thanks!​

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    EE's can be slow to mature. I bet she'll start pretty soon. Do you have a picture of her? I can tell you if she's close with a face/comb shot.

7. writermom

Mar 3, 2010
    Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Quote:Here are some shots I just took of her:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the one that's already laying (sorry, this one doesn't hold still long enough for photos):

[​IMG]

8. writermom

Mar 3, 2010
    Cottonwood Heights, UT
    She FINALLY laid today, at just over 34 weeks of age! Holy cow! I was hoping for a blue or green egg, but it was pink. I'm super thrilled that she's laying though, and celebrated that pink egg just as much as any other "first egg" I've gotten from my hens.

9. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Wonderful news!!!

10. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    [​IMG] so sorry it took so long and that it wasnt green! at least shes going!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by