1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

No egg

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by stephen k, Jan 5, 2014.

1. stephen k

stephen k In the Brooder

Dec 21, 2013
    Ireland
    Hello I'm new to backyard chickens an me and my gf haven't had an egg in 3 months.were from Ireland so the weather is always terrible so we try to keep the coop well heated!we hav 12 hens and 2 roosters and 4 ducks!they all get on wel and get plenty of food,clean water and the chance to toms around our garden at there own leisure.has any1 any ideas on what we could do.any help is appreciated [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Stephen, welcome to BYC. Any chance they might have hidden nests somewhere in the yard? Rest assured that they will start laying as the days lengthen. Day light 'sparks' their hormonal system.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

This time of year, with the lack of daylight hours, it can turn off the hormones of birds and stop the laying. Molting also plays a part in the lack of eggs, since molting takes up needed protein for feathers instead of eggs. Some chickens will continue to lay throughout the winter, although usually infrequently. And some can be coaxed into laying by adding more light to their environment. Optimumly, they need 14 to 16 hours of daylight to continue to lay. So some people will turn on the coop light a couple hours before sun up, leave it off during the day, and then leave it on a few hours after sunset. This can stimulate the laying. Never leave the light on for 24 hours.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  4. Makomd

Makomd Songster

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    Right now with it being winter in the Northern Hemisphere, a lot of the same issues here across the pond. Most cases the chickens are just not getting enough light to trigger their laying cycle. Days are starting to get longer again and you may see some increased laying, but a lot of us add additional light to the coops to get the eggs rolling again.

We try to give our chickens 14hours of light combine with natural daylight + electric light to get them going in the winter.

Best of luck.

5. stephen k

stephen k In the Brooder

Dec 21, 2013
    Ireland
    Thanks all for your advise.you guys are good help [​IMG]

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck getting your hens to start laying again.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

8. NinjaRooster

NinjaRooster Crowing

Dec 27, 2013
    The Corner
    Hello there!
    [​IMG]

9. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    [​IMG] They could be hiding the eggs in your yard. I've heard stories of people finding eggs nearly everywhere in their yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by