No eggs 10 days ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrtinman, Oct 8, 2012.

1. mrtinman

mrtinman New Egg

Sep 13, 2012
    Clarkston, WA 99403
    I’m new to chicken ownership and I have two “rescue chickens” they were older chickens and were facing a bleak future. My rescue chickens are a Red Sex Link and a Australorp.
    They have an acre of fenced yard / tree line to forage in, put up a chicken coop and they wanted nothing to do with the coop, the Australorp slept on the ground where it laid eggs and the red sex link slept in a tree and it would give me eggs under a brush pile. Just like clockwork I would get 2 eggs a day.
    12 days ago a seen a owl so that night I put them in my back yard also fenced about ½ acre, opened up my dog kennel (chain link on top) put boards in for a perch on and the chickens went in there and seemed to like it. From that point on no eggs , the chickens will run up to me when I go outside (I give them treats) but no eggs. Have not seen the owl for days and the chickens now have the run of all the property. I don’t see any feathers being lost like molting.

Any thoughts ?? I have looked over all the property no hidden nests , Should I put boxes in the dog kennel area ? I have not done that because they only spend the night in there. Any advice or direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Tracy
    Clarkston, Washington.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Could they be molting?

3. bigchicken56

bigchicken56 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    I am thinking they might be eating there eggs. Egg eating is very common in chickens. Is there any place the eggs could role and break? It takes only one taste of an egg for a chicken to start eating her own eggs. Look to see if their vents are moist, if they are moist your hens are probably laying eggs. Hope this helped. [​IMG]

4. mrtinman

mrtinman New Egg

Sep 13, 2012
    Clarkston, WA 99403

Thanks
    I looked up molting and pictures, they don't look like it unless it just started and feathers are not coming out yet ? maybe

5. mrtinman

mrtinman New Egg

Sep 13, 2012
    Clarkston, WA 99403
    Thanks
    Have not seen any evidence of broken eggs, yes there are spots that eggs role and break,
    I will check the vents ,
    Thanks for the advice !

6. mrtinman

mrtinman New Egg

Sep 13, 2012
    Clarkston, WA 99403
    I GOT 2 EGGS TODAY ! Don't know what changed but they gave me eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by