No eggs, 20 weeks old.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Thebernards, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Thebernards

Thebernards Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2014
    So I have 9 chickens that are 20 weeks old that I have raised since 3 days old and no one has laid eggs. I have: 1 leghorn, 2 buff orpingtons, 2 Delawares, 2 rhode islands, 2 Americaunas. I have them on a quality layer feed, I offer grit and oyster shells, they free range on 1/2 an acre everyday. I also bought those fake ceramic eggs to put in their nesting boxes (12 boxes total). I just don't know!!! Is it possible for every single one to be a dud?! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] What on earth am I doing wrong? What more can I do? One of the Delawares slept in a nesting box last night instead of the roost with the rest so I skipped out this morning to be disappointed, this ones been making a lot of noise too.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

They are not Duds..Just not ready yet.
    They will start soon.
    They are still very young. I bet in a month you will be getting some eggs.

3. briannanoelle1

briannanoelle1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2016
    One of our Ameraucana's just started laying at 19 weeks. They are 20 weeks now and we've only gotten 5 eggs so far out of the 5 birds that we have that are laying age. We are still feeding them grower food and just added a tray of oyster shells too. I guess the rest just aren't ready yet! They need to hurry up tho lol

4. Thebernards

Thebernards Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2014
    I'm reading that 24 weeks is "average". So hopefully in the next couple months we will have some chickens laying and they stop being freeloaders, lol.

1 person likes this.
  5. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    They're still a bit young. Have their combs reddened up yet? Usually before they starte to lay they will check out the nest boxes.
    What feed are they on? I never start layer food until they start laying, then I switch them over. Until then, depending on their age they may be on grower or on all flock. Once their combs redden I add a bowl of oyster shell and then when the majority are laying I switch over to layer.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Believe me.....They will lay lots of eggs. What your doing is good..Just wait.

7. GroomerKrissy

GroomerKrissy New Egg

Jan 31, 2016
    Millersport, Ohio
    so my girl have red coombs..... NO eggs yet, still on grower. Should I offer oyster? And do I do that mixed with the feed or separate? My first flock [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  8. hamard

hamard Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2016
    my pullets are about 24 weeks old. No eggs yet. I guess I made a mistake by feeding them lay mash at about 15 weeks old, Is this the reason they have not started laying?

9. AuntNomi

AuntNomi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!
    I do not feed layer feed at all, because I have all ages. I use an all flock for everyone. My laying hens have oyster shell in a seperate dish for when they need it. Feeding them layer feed will not speed up the actual event of getting an egg. They will lay when they are ready. And they are all different so it will be at different times. It should be soon, but don't get discouraged. It is a very exciting day when you get that first egg.
    Good Luck!

1 person likes this.
  10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This may be the issue. Free rangers have no idea they're "supposed" to lay in those nice boxes. They find places under bushes, behind trash cans, in feed sacks, on hay bales, in dog food, planters, under a raised coop, at the base of a fence.....the list goes on and on. I'd confine them to the coop for a few days and you might be surprised [​IMG]

Oh, and

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by