NO eggs - 4 days

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BellevueOmlet, Aug 9, 2011.

1. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I have two 16 month olds and two 4 month olds living together. The younger ones are not laying yet and the two older chicken, who layed a little more than every other day, have not produced an egg in 4 days. Could some be misbehaving and eating the eggs? There is no remnants of egg anywhere. I checked and they are healthy with no problems. The weather has been nice and they are getting lots of sun. I have locked them in the run so that there is nowhere else they could be laying. Any thoughts? Has anyone had an egg eater? If so, was there any trace of it?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I've never had egg eaters, but usually when chickens eat eggs there will be some sign left over. A little yolk or white on the shavings will usually tell on them. Is it possible your chickens are starting to molt? I have a couple of girls who are just starting, and it looks like someone had a pillow fight in my coop and run, but they stopped laying before they started dropping feathers. Also, is it possible a snake could have gotten to the eggs? They will usually leave no trace at all. I didn't find my egg eating snake until I reached under a broody hen to remove some eggs. Good luck!

3. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Quote:Same thing here with my amerecaunas..7 eggs/ blue last week..not a one this week..iam hunting all over thinking are they laying somewhere hidden now? Is it the heat? Maybe..

Good luck to u though
    Xoxox

4. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Thanks for the response. My coop is Super Secure so I don't think that it is a snake. Maybe they will start molting soon, I have not seen any signs yet. Is there a time of year that they usually molt?

I did the same thing - Went on an egg hunt. Nothing.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by