No eggs after the time change....:(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickdust, Jan 10, 2013.

1. chickdust

chickdust Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2012
    East Petersburg PA
    I was getting an egg a day from my BR and BO, none from my EE's and when we turned the clocks back I got a couple more eggs then nothing. I know egg prodution slows in the winter but does it ever stop completely? I haven't had an egg in almost three months.

2. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    Most breeds lay 250 eggs per year. It's likely they will take a month or two off in a bad climate. Don't fret. They will come around when it warms up.

3. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    I have the same issue. Between molting and the time change my egg production really dropped off. After 2 months I'm starting to get green eggs again.

4. LovinChicknFarmn

LovinChicknFarmn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    North Carolina
    It depends on the particular chicken. You sound like you've unluckily gotten a bunch that have all decided to stop completely for now. They'll start up again. When they start up also seems to depend on the particular chicken. Watch their combs. The combs go pink when they aren't laying. When they're warming back up to lay, their combs will start to redden. Once they get bright red watch out because they'll start laying within a few days. The combs are your egg timers.

5. chickdust

Apr 22, 2012
    East Petersburg PA
    Thanks. I was hoping for a slowdown but not a complete shutdown but I guess from what I hear it will keep them laying longer in life.

6. LCEchickens

LCEchickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    I feel your pain! Our EE hasn't laid since late August and our 2 BRs and 1 WR haven't laid since early November. Just like you, I expected them to slow down like last winter, but not stop completely. We don't use lights in the coop, but it might be something I consider next year. Good luck with your girls!

7. chickdust

Apr 22, 2012
    East Petersburg PA
    Thanks, same to you! Guess I'll be gettin those store bought ones [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by