No Eggs Almost 6 Months Old

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pollitos Mami, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Pollitos Mami

Pollitos Mami Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    The Caribbean
    Hi All,

is there a way I can make my chickens lay eggs? I live in the 3rd World Caribbean and here we sell JUST food. Nothing special and no special names. Just food. I go to the corner feed store and ask for chicken food they ask corn or pellets - NO SPECIAL or Americanized mixes. I feed them a combination of pellets and corn and give them veggies (cucumber/beets/tomatoes) regularly. Is there something I can do to promote egg laying? Is it normal that none of the 4 are laying eggs?

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Feed them the pellets, skip the corn. Depending upon the breed it may take at least 6 months for eggs. Signs to look for: bright red combs and squatting when you touch their backs. Until you see those signs , eggs are far away.

3. chickiepie

chickiepie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    Mine are 7 months old, and the last three of them just started laying in the last few weeks. Give them some more time. I know I felt like going crazy waiting, but they like to take their time!

4. Pollitos Mami

Pollitos Mami Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    The Caribbean
    Thank You!

5. sweetbeak

sweetbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, I have a 6 month old orpington and no eggs yet, is this normal? I am in Australia so we've just come out of summer with long warm days of sunshine.

Any thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by