No eggs at 28 weeks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by silverback, Nov 24, 2010.

1. silverback

silverback Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Hello

I got 4 hyline browns on October 5. They were to be 22 weeks old. I was told they would start laying in 3-4 weeks. Well, here we are over 6 weeks later and no eggs. I am getting attached to the darlings, but no eggs. I am wondering if they don't get enough daylight? They are outside from dawn to dusk and in their coop at night. I live in North Carolina so the days are getting shorter (dusk at 5:30) but not that bad. Do I need to light their coop? Other ideas???? Any help appreciated.
    S.

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Are they free ranged? If they are, I bet they have a hidden stash of eggs somewhere! [​IMG]

3. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Mine do not have nests anywhere. I have 2 out of 6 laying - 3 are 30 weeks old and 3 are 27 weeks old - they will lay when they lay...

4. silverback

Oct 18, 2010
    Yoo Hoo! This morning I found two perfect beautiful eggs in one of the nest boxes!! They do have a large pen during the day so are "free range" within a fenced area. Sometimes they go out (but there are dogs in the area so I am very careful). I will look for secret egg stashes. But the thrill of these first two was wonderful.[​IMG] I would add pictures if I knew how.

s.

5. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
  6. silverback

Oct 18, 2010
    And now for the photo!
    [​IMG]

S.

7. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Cool!!! [​IMG]

What a pretty shade of brown!

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:I'm going to offer some information. If you know it please disregard and take no offense. I read alot and sometimes to much so here goes.

Some folks think that if they "free range" hens will forage and get all they need to lay eggs. Unfortunatley this is not true. Some breeds however are better at foraging and can reduce what feed they need but others simply can't forage enough to produce a lot of eggs or meat. Therefore you need to feed them a good layer feed. If you want organic there are some good organic layers I'm sure.

Chickens like us need a balanced diet and good supply of vitamins. They also need sunlight to produce vitamin D or a supplement.

Sunlight is helpful for the shorter days of the year but a light to add to the day can help. Last year I had lights on a timer to extend the day. Set to come on at 6 am and go off after sun up and then to come on again after sunset and go off after 9pm. This meant I didn't have to pay for them to be on all day.

Fresh air, ventilation is important and I cover my runs with clear plastic so they can go out when they choose. I have a sturdy cover so the snow doesn't get in. I use straw on the floor of the run to help keep their tootsies warm and dry.

I keep wooden eggs in the nest boxes at all times and wash them when they get dirty, brown eggs for my brown layers. There is one white wooden egg but they ignore that nest unless they absolutely have to use it. Nest boxes are dark so they have some privacy. While it may or may not be necessary I do this based on what ive read. Nest boxes should not be bigger than necessary to discourage playing and egg eating. I think they wooden eggs help in this too. I've had hens go broody just sitting on the wooden eggs. Some are goose size but they don't care.

I have one flock of 10 and am getting 7-10 a day. The other of 12 maybe 4, but this is due to to many roos, which I hope to make Sunday dinner out of ASAP. The point being stress can and will effect their laying. Hens like calm and the same person and order in the flock. New additions can throw things off for a short period of time as can when someone disappears due to a pred or the dinner table. It's best to make additions or subtractions at night and in the dark.

I hope this helps some folks and doesn't upset others. I always suggest reading every book you can from the public library on chickens and poultry. Subcribing to Back Yard Poultry has been a great help. If you are in the city or suburbs City Chicks by Pat Foreman can help you load up on ammo if you need to change laws and regulations.

Wish you all happy Thanksgiving

Rancher

9. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Congrats!! I was going to write and say hang in there. Mine just started laying Sunday. It was a long wait.

10. silverback

Oct 18, 2010
    Thanks for the info on "free range" etc. I do feed them "layer" feed - they have free access at all times to it. They were on "finisher" feed for a few weeks and then we switched to "layer" feed. I also notice the combs on a couple of them have grown larger than the others - I wonder if these are the ones that are laying??

Anyway - it is great to have them. And thanks for any and all advice. We are still beginners.

S.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by