No eggs for 2 days!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by benwantegg, Oct 4, 2012.

1. benwantegg

benwantegg Out Of The Brooder

I was receiving an egg per day but i didnt have any since 2 days. I have put a light in the coop because we are starting to have less than 12 hours of daylight. I give them 2 more hours of light before dawn. Is it because of the lighy? They are still fed with pullet feed because im pretty sure that they have not all started to lay. Should i start to panic???? Sorry for mistakes, im francophone and trying hard to write properly in english!!! Thank you all!!!

2. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    There could be a lot of reasons. When chickens molt (from my experience, in the fall) their egg laying slows down. The shorter light time and cooler temperatures could be effecting them too. If they are eating, drinking and getting around alright, you may not be able to do much. I went from 7 eggs a day to 2 when the cold weather hit us.

3. benwantegg

Are they gonna molt even if they are not fully grown? Im pretty sure that i still have one or two pullets in my flock that are not laying yet...

4. jenifry

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    I assumed they were older. Chickens usually molt for the first time around 18 months. I would recommend switching to layer feed if they are all the same age, and some have already started to lay.

5. benwantegg

They are not that old... so i guess they are not molting. So i guess its the cold weather... I'll change their food and see the effects! Ive stared to gave them more light, do you know if their production will come back like it used to be or they gonna focus on keeping themselves warm?

6. jenifry

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    It depends on the breed of chicken. Some breeds are more adaptable than others. Once they get used to the cold they may lay more. My egg production has dropped off quite dramatically. My best friend says a light will help, but my dad says it's not worth the electric bill. Time will tell I suppose. Have they been introduced to any new stressors lately? Stress can stop them from laying. .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by