No eggs for 2 days?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AbiandAmi, Jan 2, 2014.

1. AbiandAmi

AbiandAmi Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    My chicken has been laying for 4 months now without missing a day and she has now not laid an egg for 2 days. It is summer where I live and is pretty hot! Is this something to worry about???

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I would worry more about your poor chicken laying every single day for four months. It's not normal for a hen to lay an egg every single day. Even the very best layers will lay 9 or more eggs in a row and then rest for a day or two. Many, many breeds only lay 5-6 eggs per week, and those are considered pretty good layers.

I would not worry about this at all even if she goes a week without laying; she needs the break!

3. AbiandAmi

May 5, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    Aww the poor thing:( thanks so much! I just didn't want her to be egg bound but I will just relax and try not to worry.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Is she sitting on the nest and straining? That's a sign of a hen being egg-bound, and that does need to be taken care of or she'll die.

But if she's up wandering around acting normally, then I wouldn't worry.

Did you get an egg from her today? Also, do you only have one hen?

5. AbiandAmi

May 5, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    She has been acting normal and she laid an egg yesterday :) I have two chickens:)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by