No eggs for 3 months, and now a 2nd molt?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by laurelsh, Dec 14, 2007.

1. laurelsh

laurelsh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    I've got 4 hens, all mature. They all went into molting in September, and I've had no eggs since then, and now 2 of them are molting again! What is up, do I need to do something? I'm tired of buying eggs at the store [​IMG]
    Laurel

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Never heard of molting twice, might need to check very closely for mites or lice, especially around the vent area.
    Something is not right for sure.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Same thing seems to have happened to hen Annie! She molted something fierce in September and got all her feathers back and then I guess it was a couple weeks ago started dropping feathers like mad (~ 40 per HOUR!). This stopped before she got naked, thank goodness, or she would have been naked in 20 degrees. She didn't lose nearly as many as she lost in September but still it did look like a respectable pillow fight. She actually just laid an egg yesterday (only the third in as many months) - I think once she stabilizes again I might see another egg or two but I don't expect much in the winter - that's when their bodies need to rest from egg laying.
    JJ

Edited to add p.s. There are other posts on BYC about second molts so others are having the same experience.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Wonder if it has something to do with the weird weather we've been having?

5. laurelsh

May 17, 2007
    JJ, where else on the message board are their posts about 2nd molt? Would love to see them.
    Laurel

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Do your birds have plenty of fresh water at all times? Same goes for plenty of fresh feed? That would have a huge impact on a second molt in my opinion. Good Luck.

bigzio

7. laurelsh

May 17, 2007
    Thanks for asking, but yes they do have plenty of water & food at all times. One thing that changed, is the rooster. I got a new rooster for them in early October, and since I got him they don't sleep on the perch, but in the nest boxes. He's a nice rooster, but he crows during the night, so maybe they don't like to sleep on the perch next to him cuz of that. But would a new rooster also affect molt and no egg laying?

8. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Hens don't deal with stress well at all. Sounds like they aren't use to his intrusion yet. They don't look at him as part of the family yet. In time they will. That would affect the egg laying, but so will a molt. Hopefully all will be well after the molt.

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by