No eggs for 3 months

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smurray2, Jan 15, 2013.

1. smurray2

smurray2 New Egg

Jan 12, 2010
    I have kept chickens for 25 years. I understand breaks in egg laying. I have 14 hours of light for my 9 hens. I have never gone 90 days with not a single egg. I have 5 araucana's 2 buff orps, and 2 just chickens. Any suggestions? I also have a tom and hen turkey in the pen (L shaped 20'x35' with inside roosting/nest boxes).

I'm about to give up on my chickens........

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Could they be taking extra time off due to age? Could you have an egg eater? The Tom?

I have had a really slow winter also. I had a dog attack, that combined with most molting I went from 18 eggs a day to zero for almost 2 months.

3. wastintime202

wastintime202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    So sorry! But don't give up on all chickens. With 25 years experience I know you can get them going again. And maybe bring in some new breeds this summer. Like Barred Rock ( mine have layed all winter) and red sex link ( there again, short break for molt and laying again) and old standard always makes the egg basket look full, the Rhode Island red. Gl and hang in there!

4. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    I am 4 yr into keeping BYC. The lone original cast is not laying since last fall. The younger ones resumed producing after 6 to 10 weeks off.

You probably already considered this, but are yours too old?

5. smurray2

smurray2 New Egg

Jan 12, 2010
    I recognize they slow way down, but with 9 hens shouldn't I get 1 egg per day? Every other day?? I have spent $40 on feed and not one egg.

Can anyone tell me what kind of light they use? May my compact fluorescent isn't bright enough. I'm willing to try a searchlight if it would help.

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It really only needs to be bright enough to read a newspaper by at roost height.
    Don't feel bad, I had 26 hens and not 1 egg for over a month. Anything stressing them like predators?
    When did they molt?
    What are you feeding them?
    Constant fresh water during daylight but I'm sure you knew that.

7. smurray2

smurray2 New Egg

Jan 12, 2010
    The have constant clean water (heated bucket) and no predators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by