1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

no eggs for 3 weeks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ltstrouse12, Dec 14, 2016.

1. ltstrouse12

ltstrouse12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2015
    like i said 3 two yr hens and no eggs i an close to the solstice does that mean anything. i had to buy store eggs .....yuck

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I feel you. I hate buying store eggs.
    Yes. 2 year old hens at solstice probably wouldn't be laying now.
    They may kick in again by February.

1 person likes this.
  3. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

My girls are laying very sporadically now, too, and I have 20+ layers. I have egg customers that I'm still trying to supply (even in greatly reduced quantities), so I've had to really restrict my own egg consumption. Pretty depressing after a summer/early fall of getting a dozen and a half a day, but that's how it seems to work out...feast or famine.

I have a good tofu scramble recipe, though. [​IMG]

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Commercial egg farms have only young birds in black out housing and on a strict lighting schedule. Hence, laying machines.

5. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

It's encouraged me to be creative with recipes - using ground flax seed as a substitute binder, for example. This will pass!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by